Where is the AUX socket?

DragonQ

Jul 26, 2016
Hi all,

Just bought a Seat Leon Mk3 (2014) and when I was test driving the car I noticed a USB connector in the glove box and another cable not connected to anything (looked like it might've been an iPhone connector, not sure since I don't have one). There were also 2 SD card slots. It has a sat nav so I'm assuming it has the "Media System Plus" add-on, which supposedly comes with an aux connection too. Problem is, I can't see where this 3.5mm socket is. Is it also supposed to be in the glove box? Or maybe it's meant to be an extension cable connected to the rear of the stereo head unit and coming out to the glove box?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
Hi all,

Just bought a Seat Leon Mk3 (2014) and when I was test driving the car I noticed a USB connector in the glove box and another cable not connected to anything (looked like it might've been an iPhone connector, not sure since I don't have one). There were also 2 SD card slots. It has a sat nav so I'm assuming it has the "Media System Plus" add-on, which supposedly comes with an aux connection too. Problem is, I can't see where this 3.5mm socket is. Is it also supposed to be in the glove box? Or maybe it's meant to be an extension cable connected to the rear of the stereo head unit and coming out to the glove box?

Thanks for any help.

There is no 3.5mm headphone connection. There should be two cables supplied with the car, one for an old style iPhone, one for USB. SEAT used the Audi MMI interface from the original A7 in the Leon mk3 until it was updated and they moved the connections to the centre console.

DragonQ

Jul 26, 2016
OK thanks for clearing that up. Do you know if the Media System Plus installed in the 2014 model supports Android Auto? I know I can update the software and the Seat website says it is supported but doesn't mention which hardware or software version is required.

yellowcone87

Mar 9, 2014
Warwickshire
As far as I know, the vast majority of the 2014 media systems cannot be upgraded in any way. There was a crossover point between model years that meant a very limited number of late 2014 cars were upgradable, but it has to be done by the dealer as it needs their connection to Seat technical to complete the upgrade. You'll know if yours is upgradable because the car will literally tell you to visit the dealer to enable the software on the screen for the corresponding functions. My ST was built in June 2014 and is not compatible with the software upgrade. Unfortunately only the dealership can confirm whether it'll work on yours, many who have tried have found the dealer's unaware they even can be upgraded! It's a case of 'suck it and see' I'm afraid!

Last edited:

DragonQ

Jul 26, 2016
That sucks. I found a compatibility guide on Seat's website and it agrees with what you say: only models from November 2014 onwards are compatible. Mine is a June 2014 model unfortunately. I guess that means the only way to play music via my phone is over Bluetooth, and I can't use Google Maps for navigation. :(

I bet it can be upgraded by a Seat dealer but would be expensive.

DragonQ

Jul 26, 2016
Got the car yesterday and tested a few things. I believe it's the latest version of the old head unit that can't be updated (0425) and it has V4 maps. The car can't do anything with my phone when it's plugged in via USB (except charge it).

The only way I can play music from my phone is over Bluetooth. In my old car, the sound quality over Bluetooth is poor so I use AUX instead. However, it seems fine in the Leon. I might compare to using an SD card at some point to see if that's worth bothering with that, but for now I just enable Bluetooth on my phone whilst in the car and immediately my preferred app goes to maximum volume and starts playing my music, which my car then plays with track info correctly displayed. So I'm happy. :)

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
I can't say I've noticed an appreciable difference between SD card and Bluetooth in mine. You do get album art and the ability to (slowly) seek through tracks if it's on an SD card though. It won't play FLAC however, which is a bit of a shame.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

DragonQ

Jul 26, 2016
I can't say I've noticed an appreciable difference between SD card and Bluetooth in mine. You do get album art and the ability to (slowly) seek through tracks if it's on an SD card though. It won't play FLAC however, which is a bit of a shame.

Enjoy!
Fair enough. I use FLAC for my library at home but don't bother elsewhere. No way I'd notice a difference between FLAC and Vorbis Q7 (or whatever I have set) in a car or via earbuds, plus it takes up way less space.

TheVoice

Jun 11, 2016
Scotland
It was mostly for convenience's sake, I rip my CDs to FLAC so it just means I have to convert them to MP3 for use in the car.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise