Whine in 3rd gear?

joey_999

hi bought my car about a month ago its a 03 leon cupra with 6speed box, when changing down gear into 3rd or when in 3rd not accelerating im getting a loud whiring sound coming from the gear box any ideas wot it could b?

I think it may b a bearing, as im new to the vag seen is their n e common problems?

cheers joe

2footpegs

Jan 17, 2009
anyone????? because ive got the same thing with my 53plate LCR but the sounds not that loud

matylad

Nov 24, 2005
Crewe, Cheshire
I’ve got the same type of noise / symptoms on my 53 plate LCR. I'm thinking of giving the gearbox fluid a change. Can’t see that it'll fix it but you never know. Cold gear changes make a 'clunking' type noise. I also noticed last night that when depressing and raising the clutch you can hear a very similar clunking noise. Had to have the passenger window open to hear it.

My thoughts were that it could be something on the clutch. Maybe the release bearing??? Don’t know if this could cause the whirring / woo woo woo woo woo / bearing noise when driving at slower speeds. Bearings all feel nice and smooth with no resistance. Another suggestion was that the tyres were the problem. You can feel that the inner tread blocks are stepped. I’ve got the Falken 452s on the moment.

Not a great deal of help but thought id chip in.

steve_p

Genesis Nut
May 3, 2008
I had this exact problem with my LCR.
Ended up costing me just short of £1k for a gearbox refurb :cry:
Bearings on 2/3rd were supposedly on their way out.
I was told it was probably due to me being a bit harsh when changing down a gear or so under braking for corners etc.

The refurb fixed the problem for just under a year when it started to come back.

Went back under warranty and had it looked at again.
This time they said it was a 'circlip' thingy that was bent over at it's outer edge causing similar symptoms. Again caused by changing down the gears under braking or before braking/cornering.
Got the feeling thats what it might have been the first time.
Thankfully the second fix did not cost anything and has held for the last 12-18 months.

Think my aggresiveness with the gears has reduced a bit because of it which may have helped.

Hope this helps a bit.

steve_p

Genesis Nut
May 3, 2008
I’ve got the same type of noise / symptoms on my 53 plate LCR. I'm thinking of giving the gearbox fluid a change. Can’t see that it'll fix it but you never know. Cold gear changes make a 'clunking' type noise. I also noticed last night that when depressing and raising the clutch you can hear a very similar clunking noise. Had to have the passenger window open to hear it.

My thoughts were that it could be something on the clutch. Maybe the release bearing??? Don’t know if this could cause the whirring / woo woo woo woo woo / bearing noise when driving at slower speeds. Bearings all feel nice and smooth with no resistance. Another suggestion was that the tyres were the problem. You can feel that the inner tread blocks are stepped. I’ve got the Falken 452s on the moment.

Not a great deal of help but thought id chip in.

I've always had clunky changes into 2nd/3rd when cold. I think this is what is called a 'feature' ;)
I've got the 'whirring / woo woo woo woo woo' noise too on my passenger side. I think this could be a bearing on it's way out.
I'm on 452's all round too.
I get a fair amout of whirring under braking but I belive that is due to the groves on Badger5 Bill's fab rotors. ;)

joey_999

nice one, yea the car is stil under warranty so is going back next week to the garage i bought it off, they tried saying something like "the car has alot of power going through the gearbox and is ment to make that noise". IM no mechanic but i can smell the salesman bullshit a mile off i think he knows its gonna be expensive!

2footpegs

Jan 17, 2009
well i got my car cheked out today by my dads mate who's a mechanic n knows his stuff, and he said it was sumfin to do with the turbo releasing pressure or sumthing through the exhaust (my whine seems to come more from the back of the car) well something llong those lines he went into to technical detail which i cant remember exactly.

he's driven my car many times as he cam with me when i bort it and im sure he would have noticed if it was something serious. so i hope he's right this time

chrisphysics

SEAT Lover
Jun 22, 2008
Sheffield
I don't see how you can mistake a bearing or gear box noise for the turbo.

If it makes the noise while your foot is not it the accelerator and the noise continues then it's not the turbo. Do it make the noise with the clutch depressed.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.