Why is Regen so high in sport mode? eHybrid

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
The sport mode regen on the FR eHybrid is so excessive, & it’s impossible to turn it off as you can in any other drive mode. It’s impossible to do any lift or coast. Anything less than 30% throttle appears to start the regen braking in some circumstances. One pedal driving isn’t suitable for sport driving. Some regen is fine, as it’ll work like engine braking. But the default setting is far too strong.

Kaxolo

Dec 23, 2021
Did you change to sport after starting the car? When I change to sport in the middle of the drive it goes into one pedal driving. But if you start the car already on sport it starts normal

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
Did you change to sport after starting the car? When I change to sport in the middle of the drive it goes into one pedal driving. But if you start the car already on sport it starts normal
I haven’t tried that. But that’s a weird bug. My car is gone into the garage on the fifth for a software update. I’m hoping it’s going to fix some of the issues I’ve been having, such as the interior lighting, not remembering what it set to, and any CarPlay maps, glitching out after a few minutes. But perhaps it could also fix the problem with the regen. It’s just bizarre that it completely ignores any settings, but you choose in the car menu.

adrianator

Sep 13, 2022
I have the same issue but I think it's by design. I'm think of 2 reasons why is the reg braking so aggressive.

1. If you don't need to accelerate, the car will brake.... Because it's sport mode?
2. Sport mode is using a lot of battery for boosting so the car needs to regen as much power as possible in order to keep up. Speaking of this, does it happen when your battery is above 20% or above the minimum threshold that you set?

Kaxolo

Dec 23, 2021
I think is just a bug. Like I said it only happesn if I change into Sport mode in the middle of driving. If I turn off the car on Sport so it starts the next time it Sport it doesn´t do it.

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
I have the same issue but I think it's by design. I'm think of 2 reasons why is the reg braking so aggressive.

1. If you don't need to accelerate, the car will brake.... Because it's sport mode?
2. Sport mode is using a lot of battery for boosting so the car needs to regen as much power as possible in order to keep up. Speaking of this, does it happen when your battery is above 20% or above the minimum threshold that you set?
Considering Cupra compete in Formula E & ECTR, it’s likely they were going for a similar feel in their road cars under EV, as their race cars do. The problem is that even in sport mode, Road driving rarely requires hard acceleration, followed by hard braking.

I asked the service desk when my car went in the other day, & they were unaware of it. As far as they’re aware, it’s not a feature. But it’s also worth noting that most the Seat staff, be it salesmen or service desk know very little about the EV side of the car, or its software. In fact, it was in for a software update, which they only were aware of as I mentioned I had read about it on these forums.

Reactions: adrianator

Kaxolo

Dec 23, 2021
Tried today:
Start the car on Sport: no regen
Change driving to norma: no regen
Change back to sport: Regen

So either the fact that when you start on sport doens´t regen is bug, or when you change to sport and there is regen is bug.

Reactions: Davehaslanded

Davehaslanded

Jan 25, 2017
England
Tried today:
Start the car on Sport: no regen
Change driving to norma: no regen
Change back to sport: Regen

So either the fact that when you start on sport doesn't regen is bug, or when you change to sport and there is regen is bug.
Tried the other day. Had to leave it in engine mode, due to GPF needing to do a cycle. So just left it in sport mode for a couple day. No Regen at all in Sport mode though when I started in sport. Its definitely a bug. My car was updated to latest software by dealer couple weeks back. That didn't fix it either.