Why not have freetack 4WD system on leons?

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
My car is in for service today and also an investigation into the "Wet Windows" problem.

My curteosy car is a Feb 58 Freetrack 4 which has a variable distrobution 4x4 system, meaning that upto 50% of engine power goes to the rear wheels.

Why dont they put this system in the top power Leon diesels and petrols?

Only now that there is some Sun and dry roads i can apply full power all the way through 2nd without the traction control going crazy. Although, even on a dry road, if you get an uneaven surface, that seams to get the TC doing its thing. A 4WD would help that allot.

I cant see how its cost when they can do a freetrack and cupra about the same price.

Could be weight issues, but again, that would be offset by being able to get the power onto the road much more effecively.

Stuart

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Good question...

Does the freetrack just use the same Haldex system as my TT and other VAG cars?

I don't see why they couldn't do something as the A3 and Golf are similar cars to the Leon.

By the way if it is the same system it can actually put 100% of the power to either the front or rear as needed.

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
I think most the VAG cars use a Haldex system, VW call it "4 Motion", Audi "Quattro" etc.

(wiki says new Quattro uses this system, but the old Quattros didnt (used to be permanant 4x4 system) which caused confusion and annoyance as its two diffirent technologies/results with the same name)

As far as i can tell, they all, including the Freetrack, use the same system.

Reading the reviews, the freetrack will only do a 50/50 front/back dist but the system should be capable of 100% rear wheel as VW and Audi.

Perhaps they only do upto 100% rear in the sporty cars but the offroad concept needs even distrobution.

I did see mention on the wiki page on Haldex of a "Seat Leon 4" but this may be a wiki inaccuracy.

Perhaps the spanish design team had a siesta just before they got to the 4WD leon concept, came back to the table 6 hours later and forgot where they were so just skipped that section.

Stuart

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
As far as I know you could get a Leon 4 in certain foreign markets in the mark 1 version, not heard of a mark 2 though.

As regards to quattro it is quite confusing some people would argue my TT doesn't have quattro.

As far as I know the cars that are traditionally FWD use Haldex whereas the RWD cars use permanent. There may be something to do with the positioning of the engine that also determines it.

It's probably a marketing thing with VAG as to why it isn't in the Leon. Might take too much away from sales of other cars...

Mogster

Apr 2, 2008
The VW 4x4 system in a Leon is proably the one thing that would encourage me to exchange my FR for a newer one, if anyone from SEAT marketing's listening :whistle:

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
im going in later today to give the freetrack back and get my own car, ill ask them and see what they say.

4WD system would definaly make the leon much nippier and more desirable, especially off a line.

I do notice that the 2.0 TDI 170 engine is much quieter, would a 58 Freetrack use a common rail system over my 08 Leon's PD system?

Ive read somewhere that common rail diesels are quieter than PD ones.

Stuart

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
As far as I know you could get a Leon 4 in certain foreign markets in the mark 1 version, not heard of a mark 2 though.

As regards to quattro it is quite confusing some people would argue my TT doesn't have quattro.

As far as I know the cars that are traditionally FWD use Haldex whereas the RWD cars use permanent. There may be something to do with the positioning of the engine that also determines it.

It's probably a marketing thing with VAG as to why it isn't in the Leon. Might take too much away from sales of other cars...

'Proper' Quattro requires a longitudinally mounted engine which is why the A3 and it's stablemates use a Haldex system instead.

I'd guess that SEAT are restricted from putting Haldex in the Leon by VW/Audi - it helps keep a niche market for the more expensive marques

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I do notice that the 2.0 TDI 170 engine is much quieter, would a 58 Freetrack use a common rail system over my 08 Leon's PD system?

Ive read somewhere that common rail diesels are quieter than PD ones.

Stuart

I've got the common rail in my car and gave an diesel hater last week a lift.

His comments was "it sounds nothing like a diesel"

Not sure what the Freetrack uses but the Exeo and revised Leon apparently have the CR engine.

stuartsjg

Oct 22, 2008
Aberdeen
I've got the common rail in my car and gave an diesel hater last week a lift.

His comments was "it sounds nothing like a diesel"

Not sure what the Freetrack uses but the Exeo and revised Leon apparently have the CR engine.

Id agree, it wasnt pertol sounding, but it wasnt diesel sounding. Probably half way between. It didnt feel as fast/powerfull as the Leon but i suppose the Freetrack weighs a good bit more and has a larger frontal area so with the same engine its not going to be so fast.

Ive had a read about on the web that 2007 onwards Altea, Alahambra and Freetrack used the CR system.
Im not sure if this is right, as many other sites say that seat only launched the CR engines at the geneva road show, same time as they revealed the "new" leon etc.

Stuart

alnsaz

Dec 7, 2005
West of Scotland
Hi Stuart

The Freetrack has the PD170 engine same as in the Leon FR. Coming from the Leon I can tell you the Freetrack is more refined, not sure if it uses more soundproofing or something

Hard to tell from the press release but I reckon the common rail engine will come to the Freetrack when the new models are launched in the UK in the summer

Cheers
Al

Al

Aug 29, 2005
A Cupra with a 4 wheel drive system is basically one of these, but it would be with a much smaller price tag. Therefore VAG would possibly take business away from a higher spec brand to a lower spec brand and make less money in to the bargain. Not good business sense.

Audi-S3-Sportback-MY09-01.jpg

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise