Wipers don't come back on after engine restart

hcuk94

Dec 27, 2022
I have a slightly odd scenario which I'm hoping someone might recognise.
My front wipers work as expected, until I park up somewhere, turn the engine off, leave the car and come back a while later - the stalk is still up in one of the 'on' positions, but the wipers do not come to life and stay in their resting position behind the A pillars.
I have to nudge the stalk to the off position, then back into the on position, and at this point the wipers will start up again.
Just wondering if this is a common problem and if anyone knows a plausible fix?
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: to clarify, I don't have auto wipers, the on positions are the basic interval with variable speed and constant settings.

Robbo86

Jul 19, 2019
UK
Not sure if it is the same case with the non-auto ones but with mine (they are auto) the wipers will wait till you are back up to a certain speed before re-initializing. Not sure on what speed though.

Reactions: hcuk94

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I’m sure our previous Leon did this too, I just got into the habit of flicking them off then on when moving off.

Reactions: hcuk94

hcuk94

Dec 27, 2022
Not sure if it is the same case with the non-auto ones but with mine (they are auto) the wipers will wait till you are back up to a certain speed before re-initializing. Not sure on what speed though.
I thought you might be right for a while as I tried being patient until I'd starting moving at speed and it came to life! But then after a couple more stops it never came back to life so seems to be intermittent.

I’m sure our previous Leon did this too, I just got into the habit of flicking them off then on when moving off.
Maybe it's a 'feature' then that I will have to live with ;)

Fipsy

Feb 13, 2018
Tamworth
Mine do this too so must be the way it was built I guess. Strange thing I’ve noticed though with mine is if the wipers are on position 2, slowest constant speed, and I hit 80mph they pause at the bottom of the screen. Maybe only for one second, but then carry on wiping back up the screen to the outer edge and back down again. Each time they go down they pause at the bottom before going back up. This only happens if I hit 80mph though. 79mph they operate as normal. No idea what happens over 80 though as that’s fast enough when it’s raining.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.