Wiring in an amp

tbc

May 9, 2005
I've bought an amp, but it's not arrived yet.

Where does the amp plug in to the main stereo in the mk3 Ibiza?

Mat

easy, i did mine just over a months ago. need RCA converters

tbc

May 9, 2005
Where do I plug the convertor in? How do I access the back of the HU, or is that not necessary?

Mat

it is necessary. just splie into the rear speaker cables and attach the RCA converter

where you live? i'd be happy to help!

tbc

May 9, 2005
I live in Cheshire, I've got someone helping me who knows a whole lot more about it than I do, but he's got a Corsa, and therefore a proper HU, so I was just finding out what work was involved. Thanks anyway though.

Is there some kind of access to the HU under the dash?

tbc

May 9, 2005
Nice one. Still not 100% what needs to be done but hopefully all this will help my friend who actually knows his arse from his elbow

Mat

when you get the RCA converter, ittells you on the pack (theres a diagram)

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
i cheated when wiring in my amp.

i took 2 cables from the fron to the back, one power cable nice chunky one from battery (with inline fuse at the front) and a tiny little blue cable from front to back. the blue cable is my REM, and that is connected to a fuse under my dash.

i used a multimeter and another set of hands to measure when the voltage turned on and off with ignition then red the REM off that.

both go down the passenger side of the car (through where the standard wiring loom goes) to the boot, where my sub is.

To get a signal to my sub, i purchased a phono lead and spliced it, so the inner cable whent to one speaker output(red) and the outer to black. i then soldered and crimped these together, and ran that down to my amp. my amp sorts it out from there and it sounds fine. always good comments on the sound in my car.
some people will say its a NONO as im putting a high levgel input in to a low level output, but to be honest it does not matter in the terms of such low voltages. and if it does blow the head unit (which it has not even after a long time of hard use) i will just buy a new HU and do the propper conversion.

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
You need the HU removal keys to take HU out of dash

RCA(phono) converters go in back connected to speaker wires (as above see diagram)

RCA then plugs into that and goes to amp

Remote wire goes from remote wire in HU (should be labelled) to amp

Power from battery to amp including in line fuse within 30cm of battery terminal

Earth from amp to a good solid bolt in the boot somewhere

Speaker cable from Amp to what ever your amp is going to be running (speakers/sub etc....)

Hope this helps

Malky

On the lookout
Oct 28, 2001
Livingston
Visit site
When I wired up my amp I used the CD Changer plug in the boot for the remote feed. I used the rear speakers as the high level inputs so no need for RCA leads.

M87NER

MATNER
Mar 11, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
When I wired up my amp I used the CD Changer plug in the boot for the remote feed. I used the rear speakers as the high level inputs so no need for RCA leads.

Ah! good idea, think i might change mine from the 12v cigarette socket in me boot to the cd changer-then i wont have to worry if i forget to switch the amp off as i have done before and flatend my battery.......3 times! cool

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Ah! good idea, think i might change mine from the 12v cigarette socket in me boot to the cd changer-then i wont have to worry if i forget to switch the amp off as i have done before and flatend my battery.......3 times! cool

i initially took the remote off the cd changer plug. i have a 6 cd changer connected aswell and i will tell you now, it does not work. i had real problems trying to figure out why my cd changed did not play cd's for more than a couple of minutes, especially on a bassy track. turns out it was something to do with the 12v feed to the cd changer.

dont ask why this happened becuase generally the REM should only be taking a couple of mili amps at most,. so dont know why it interfered with the workings of it

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales

How are you finding this method and has anyone else done it this way?

Its how i was gonna do mine.

Malky

On the lookout
Oct 28, 2001
Livingston
Visit site
i initially took the remote off the cd changer plug. i have a 6 cd changer connected aswell and i will tell you now, it does not work. i had real problems trying to figure out why my cd changed did not play cd's for more than a couple of minutes, especially on a bassy track. turns out it was something to do with the 12v feed to the cd changer.

dont ask why this happened becuase generally the REM should only be taking a couple of mili amps at most,. so dont know why it interfered with the workings of it

Thats the way mines was wired and it worked perfectly for the 2 years I owned the car

Sure it wasnt something to do with the bass making the CD skip which stopped it playing?

Malky

On the lookout
Oct 28, 2001
Livingston
Visit site
How are you finding this method and has anyone else done it this way?

Its how i was gonna do mine.

) You will need a remote turn on lead wire so that when you turn on your headunit, your aftermarket amp will turn on. Find the wiring harness that you would plug into your 6 CD-Changer or already have your 6 CD-Changer plugged into. Peel back the black wrapping around the harness. Find the GREY wire inside that harness. This is the wire you will tap into for your remote turn on wire for your aftermarket amp. Here is what it looks like when done:

OPTIONAL: It may be a good idea to use a relay instead of powering the additional amp turnon directly from the cd changer harness. One guy accidentally shorted the wire and blew the turon circuit in his HU which would be a bummer.
A relay is simple to do: Get a 30 amp automotive relay. Hook it up in the following manner:
Relay coil A :Gray changer wire
Relay Coil B: Ground (I took it right from the - terminal on my subwoofer amp.)
Relay Common: +12V (I took it right from the + terminal on my subwoofer amp.)
Relay N.O. Terminal: Amp turnon terminal.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.