Wrong oil in car!

scarface

Oct 27, 2005
West Midlands
Had my car (mk1 2005 lcr) serviced on weekend and even though i told the garage to use Castrol Edge 5w30 Fully Synthetic Oil that ive been using, he has put in a non-brand Semi Synthetic 5w30 oil.

What effect will this have on my engine? The oil used says it specific to ford engine and st cars.

I drove to manchester and back yesterday ( for the manchester derby which was unbelievable!) and didnt notice any difference. However will there be any effects over the medium to longer term on engine and performance.

His also recommended i do an oil change every 6 months, and a full service every 12mths. What do you lot do?

Last edited:

Bezzer

Feb 16, 2003
Bradford
I've just had the same thing, and from a main dealer too. My Ibiza Cupra PD160 has just been serviced. The invoice simply says: synthetic oil £11.21.

I know that the Cupra is supposed to use 506.01 or 507.00 and that should cost around £40. The service department say the oil they use has been approved by Seat, Vauxhall and Mazda for use on all their engines.

I'm very sure that is not the case and that they are going to have to have my car in again to flush the engine.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
For all the cost of the oil just drain the oil and fill it with fully synthetic at the garages cost.
You won't need to change the oil filter but you could if you wanted to.
I've been using Millers XF longlife oil, I had it sampled after 6,000 miles and was told I still had at least 10,000 miles of use in the oil. I have done three track days and 10,000 miles now and will get the sampling done again but expect the oil still to be in good shape.

TBH I don't know the full implications of not using the correct oil but if it was me I'd change it out for the right stuff for piece of mind.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I've just had the same thing, and from a main dealer too. My Ibiza Cupra PD160 has just been serviced. The invoice simply says: synthetic oil £11.21.

I know that the Cupra is supposed to use 506.01 or 507.00 and that should cost around £40. The service department say the oil they use has been approved by Seat, Vauxhall and Mazda for use on all their engines.

I'm very sure that is not the case and that they are going to have to have my car in again to flush the engine.

I wouldn't get my engine flushed as its very difficult to get rid of the flushing agent. The risidual might have an effect on the new oil.
Just drain it and refill with the correct oil

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
If you're going to change in 6 months, I wouldn't worry.

I would speak to the garage and let then know you're severely displeased that they did not follow your very specific instructions.

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Really there is no need to worry about it being Semi-synthetic, leave it until the next oil change, nothing bad will happen.

scarface

Oct 27, 2005
West Midlands
ok cheers, havnt noticed any differences anyway so thats good. yeh im planning on having the oil changed in march anyway so will switch back then.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.