APR stage 2+ v2.0

Poverty

Thought this might be of interest to Leon FR and Leon Cupra drivers.

Right so ive been lucky enough to have been given the chance to absolutely cane the granny out of a Golf R with APR's new software for a week. Im not sure what its official name is, but I just call it the APR 2.0tfsi v2.0 software lol.

Bit of background on myself, I previously owned a revo stage 2+ mk2 leon cupra k1, and currently a stage 2 TTRS.

Now getting into this car I wasnt sure what to expect, as APR had a reputation in the UK atleast for being tamer than the likes of revo with their old v1 map, but then again, revo always was the most aggressive mapper of the lot and ive yet to come across another map that could match or surpass revo on the 2.0TFSI, and ive experienced a hell of alot of maps over the years now on this engine.

So off I went, got the engine up to temp and oil up to temp and started to play.

Now im sat here trying to think how to best sum up its performance, so I think I will just quote what I wrote on facebook about it at the time to my friends.

"This Golf R is fookin rapid" "its bloody quick" and "I don't remember by mk2 Leon Cupra being this quick!"

And this is me saying that after having jumped in the golf straight after having been in my 420bhp TTRS!

The response of the engine and the pickup from low down is just crazy, it pulls hard non stop throughout the rev range all the way to 7k rpm with there being no signs of the power dropping off. The map is just so smooth whilst being explosive, I cant really describe it, its something you have to try. Whatever APR did to this map you have to take your hat off to them, and perhaps Revo should now be slightly worried as they have a worthy competitior. Its as if someones shoe horned a 3.0 litre turbo in this car, as its factory smooth pulling through the rev range whilst being blistering quick.

And the best thing of all about this new and improved APR map? There is no flat spot like there is on revo stage 2 plus cars, or my mates jabba mapped stage 2 plus car.

Anyhow, after a few days of still being impressed with the car, I decided to ring up some friends and have a 2.0TFSI K04 meet.

In attendance was:

MRC Stage 2 plus Golf R
JABBA Stage 2 plus mk2 cupra (completely stripped out, just race seats and dash for interior, fronty door cards)

A hybrid vxr and a hybrid mk2 focus RS also came along for some testing.

What we found was that the APR cars response would allow it to jump on all the other cars straight away, and either maintain that gap or increase it.I fully expected the jabba car to reel me back in but that never happened. Now ive had some plays against that car in my revo cupra k1 before and we found that the revo car was always slighty faster, but back then the jabba car also had a full interior. Sadly I couldnt get a revo stage 2 plus car out on the day but I think we can roughly guess the outcome based on previous experiences.

So this might be bad news in a way, as I suppose now when trying to decide which map you want for your car there is no longer a simple or obvious choice. Revo or APR imo.

If I was to modify a 2.0TFSI all over again? Id go APR this time round, no flatspots and no occasional flashing engine lights on the dash, just making loads of power everywhere.

I hope this helps people who have been wondering about APRs new map like TFSI Mike, and those who wanted a more expanded and indepth review, after reading positive things about APRs map by other members on this forum who have also had the pleasure of driving this car.

Any questions fire away.

Reactions: Redemption

Poverty

Everything on the Golf can be fitted to the cupra yes.

Its got the VW racing big brake kit which is awesome, AST coilovers and ARBs, makes the car handle like a go kart, deffo would do my TT in the twisties, APR fuel pump, APR intercooler, APR RSC Exhaust, VW racing intake and I think the vibratechnics engine mounts.

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
was on APR webby earlier today. do you know when they are going to launch the uk site as when you go to view and check prices you get american prices.

would like to know the APR fuel pump price be it full unit or a rebuild of your own service that they do state side.

Poverty

was on APR webby earlier today. do you know when they are going to launch the uk site as when you go to view and check prices you get american prices.

would like to know the APR fuel pump price be it full unit or a rebuild of your own service that they do state side.

Last I heard a new APR pump was between 600-700 notes :cry:

Will find out when exactly they are going live in the UK as such, and how much their maps cost.

Are the newer cupra R's affected by the VAG anti tuning ecu's? Alot of the new audis you can only remap by removing the ecu, APR have apparently cracked this now and will soon be offering OBD remaps on anti tune ecu cars

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
600 to 700 GBP is about the same as the US Dollar price 1000 off the top of my head BUT APR US offer a rebuild of your HPFP for 650 USD. Basically send them your pump and it will be upgraded an tested etc even the seals and returned back.

if the prices are the same as USD then 650 dollar is 423 GBP which then isnt a bad price at all.

might be worth checking if they will be doing this service here in the UK as they will make a killing.

lee

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
600 to 700 GBP is about the same as the US Dollar price 1000 off the top of my head BUT APR US offer a rebuild of your HPFP for 650 USD. Basically send them your pump and it will be upgraded an tested etc even the seals and returned back.

if the prices are the same as USD then 650 dollar is 423 GBP which then isnt a bad price at all.

might be worth checking if they will be doing this service here in the UK as they will make a killing.

lee

VWRacing offers this service but mind you APR are very picky about the pumps any faults they will send it back...must be more or less brand new.

The newly revised V2.0 does sound amazing and APR is also local to me too...

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Did you do logs to look at timing pull, boost, fuelling, etc? I remember a certain special map someone had on a 2.0T, and while there was no doubt the car was fast, but when it was logged, it was on a death mission to self destruction.

Was the Golf DSG? If so, that, with all those bolt ons (lower rolling mass from brakes etc) would give it a lot of what it needed to pull off a result like that.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
And this is me saying that after having jumped in the golf straight after having been in my 420bhp TTRS!

what happened to the other 10 bhp? :rofl:

good write up mate , i didnt think that APR's network was that strong in the UK now?
i thought most APR dealers had gone over to Revo?

Who does APR now?

and is this new APR software just a copy of their K03 TO K04 uprgrade software?
i been reading about that on US forums and that seems very good software , people giving it rave reviews

Last edited:

jon-tfsi

Mar 29, 2008
Good write up Poverty !!

But why did it take APR 4 years to improve on their previous map? And they used to swear it was not safe to extract more power from this engine as the K04 used to suffer compressor surge.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Good write up Poverty !!

But why did it take APR 4 years to improve on their previous map? And they used to swear it was not safe to extract more power from this engine as the K04 used to suffer compressor surge.

yep i read the same
thats why their maps were so conservative

Poverty

Thanks lads.

APR are launching their UK/Euro arm quietly as we speak.

I remember the so called "compressor surge" noise in my Revo Cupra, I haven't heard the same noise in this Golf R.

No logs either Al, I've still got the car though, will wind down the windows for any surge noises etc and report back.

I think the new updated maps are down to some clever new employees APR have got to join the existing team!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
well like i said if i complete the full stage 2+ program. which im tempted to if i can get me a clutch fitted cheap by my mate. then i might give them a try

will see how i get on finding an APR fuel pump.

currently on the look out for THS FR3 engine mounts. hope i find some before weekend when i fit my exhaust.. yay

Poverty

An alternative to the ThS mounts are the vibratechnics ones, vw racing no longer have exlusivity over them so now the price is competitive. Have a look on their site!

JayCee

Apr 8, 2010
Isle of Man
Nice write-up Pov, would love to check out the R properly myself. Could be tempted that way when I come to change the K1 (not for a year or more yet though) finances permitting.

Any idea from APR what power/torque the R was running?

Poverty

PSI tuning are one APR agent, more are popping up though.

I have power Figures. Roughly 380bhp at the flywheel.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.