Anyone switched from a Diesel to 1.4 TSi (140)

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
For my next car I'm considering switching from Diesel (I currently have remapped Ibiza 130PD) to the 1.4 TSi (140).

My two concerns are...

1) Will the 1.4 TSi be quick enough, because of the difference in torque/power.
2) Will I get reasonable MPG, I currently average 50mpg to work and back and I would like to get something very similar.

Has anyone made a similar swap, if so could you let me know your thoughts?

Cheers :)

Forthewin

Seat quote about 57mpg for the 1.4 TSI but in reality I'd expect mid 40's, maybe a couple higher when the cars settled. Obviously depends a lot on where and how you drive.

I'd certainly say its quick enough but you'd be pushed to match the 50mpg your currently getting.

JK1

May 15, 2002
Bedford
Visit site
I've pondered the 1.4 a few times, at the moment I'm doing 30m a day commute but theres a possibility I could be doing a 2m commute a day and I'm going to guess the DPF in a diesel will utterly hate that.

The only thing putting me off a petrol is I've been driving diesels for nearly 9 years, and love the no-nonsense of parking/crawling in traffic.

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Seat quote about 57mpg for the 1.4 TSI but in reality I'd expect mid 40's, maybe a couple higher when the cars settled. Obviously depends a lot on where and how you drive.

I'd certainly say its quick enough but you'd be pushed to match the 50mpg your currently getting.

Because mine has been remapped it has lots of torque, so it's pretty nippy and that is why I'm a little concerned about the difference in performance.

My drive to work is normally around 30 minutes and goes like this...
1) 4 miles in town with 2 traffic light at approx 40 mph
2) 3.5 miles on an A Road with no traffic lights at approx 60 mph
3) 9 miles on the Motorway (in the outside lane at a reasonable cruising speed)
4) 2.5 miles on an A Road with 2 traffic lights half at 60 mph and half at 30-40 mph

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
I've pondered the 1.4 a few times, at the moment I'm doing 30m a day commute but theres a possibility I could be doing a 2m commute a day and I'm going to guess the DPF in a diesel will utterly hate that.

The only thing putting me off a petrol is I've been driving diesels for nearly 9 years, and love the no-nonsense of parking/crawling in traffic.

Yeah true, currently not an issue for me as my PD doesn't have one.

With my commute I think I'd be OK, but who knows! lol

Starbucks78

Oct 7, 2009
I have come from a diesel cupra to the 1.4tsi fr and am quite happy. I did borrow a little citreon c3 for the 6 week period between selling the old and taking delivery of new so direct comparison would be a little clouded by the painfully slow c3. However for me the car is quite amazing considering its a 1.4 petrol. It has a great turbo kick which is fairly on par with a pd engine. It only loses out i'd say at accelerating from 70 upwards but this I expected with a smaller engine. My biggest fear was feeling like I was taking a step backwards with this petrol but I am more than impressed.

As for fuel consumption I can get between 42-48mpg with normal driving. My commute to work is only 3 miles through 2 villages with some stop start. If I drive gently I can get 42mpg easily from a cold engine which I find very impressive. The car has done just shy of 500 miles an the long term economy is currently ar 45.6mpg. If this improves as the engine beds in then i'll be more than happy.

However if you thrash the engine the mpg does drop a fair bit with the turbo working hard!

I'd go take one for a test drive if I were you.

andrew_ww

Nov 15, 2007
I have test driven a 1.4 and was pleasantly surprised by it, quite powerful given its small size.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
The 1.4 TSI 140 will seem slow and will use more fuel. Stay derv and get a CR170 Leon. Simples.

Have you even driven one though? Most people find the TSI gives a far wider power band than the diesel. Oh and they don't make the CR170 anymore ;)

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
The new 1.4 140 would be class, cylinder deactivation and all that. Only if it proves reliable which is my first thought on a complex engine. Should be more economical than the previous tsi 125 with start stop also

Should be pokey enough lots of torque from waaay down low

Obvs, the diesel has much more output it would be fairer to measure the 1.4T to the 'lower' power TDI

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

m4rtin

Dec 6, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I think due to my current Ibiza FR 130PD being remapped I would miss the large amount of torque if I went to a 1.4 TSI 140.

I suspect I'll either go for a Mk2 FR+ CR170 or wait until the Mk3 184 is here.

I know that the Mk3 has a better interior etc but if I got a Mk2 CR170 I could remap it soon after, which I would hope will result in similar performance and economy to I'm used to with my current car.

Decisions, decisions....

neilmcl

Apr 18, 2004
The new 1.4 140 would be class, cylinder deactivation and all that. Only if it proves reliable which is my first thought on a complex engine. Should be more economical than the previous tsi 125 with start stop also

Should be pokey enough lots of torque from waaay down low

Obvs, the diesel has much more output it would be fairer to measure the 1.4T to the 'lower' power TDI

The 1.4 140 doesn't have cylinder deactivation on the Seat, only VW and Audi models at the moment.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
your making the claim that the seat version does not have it, though its known that there is such a vag engine with cylinder deactivation.
Some specs/marketing info on the seat version would be nice.

Last edited:

neilmcl

Apr 18, 2004
So theres two versions? Bit silly really!

NOT on the Seat there's not.

It'll only be "silly" if Seat ever do bring this engine out alongside their current 140ps version but I very much doubt they'll do that. More than likely they'll phase the current one out for the new COD/ACT version.

What will be interesting over the coming months is we'll be able to see if there's much, if any, of a real-world economy difference between the Seat and VW/Audi engines. I'd hope there will be but it'll be an eye-opener if, as I fear, there's not.

Last edited:

Starbucks78

Oct 7, 2009
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I think due to my current Ibiza FR 130PD being remapped I would miss the large amount of torque if I went to a 1.4 TSI 140.

I suspect I'll either go for a Mk2 FR+ CR170 or wait until the Mk3 184 is here.

I know that the Mk3 has a better interior etc but if I got a Mk2 CR170 I could remap it soon after, which I would hope will result in similar performance and economy to I'm used to with my current car.

Decisions, decisions....

If you're considering going for a mk2, I'd advise you dont sit in a mk3 as the interior is in a different league.
Climbing back into a mk2 would then feel like a massive step backwards!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members