Replacing rear wheel bearing

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
If I've understood it correctly, the Ibiza doesn't have a separate bearing and hub, and instead has an integrated bearing/hub assembly.
So now my rear bearing is gone I need to buy a new assembly, undo the bolts from the old one, replace and tighten it all up again (also removing brakes etc that are in the way...)
I don't need a15t press to get the old bearing out/new one in and in theory, with a bit of patience and enough force to undo the bolts it's a DIY job?

SEAT want £108 for the bearing, or £250 for fitted.
A hub assembly is about £50 on eBay, so if it's something that can be done myself on my drive I'd rather save the money!
I'm not really a mechanic-y person, but I can follow instructions and have a modicum of common sense.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Rears are VERY easy to do on the drive/in the garage.

There is no pressing of any bearings at all - the hub arrives with the bearings and ABS sensor ring already fitted.

You will need a 12 spline socket ( i think its a 32mm 12 spline but check first )

Jack up car
Remove wheel ( 5 bolts )
Remove brake caliper & carrier ( 4 bolts )
Remove hub nut cap and remove hub nut ( I beleive they are once only use so you need a new one )
Remove hub/bearing assembly

Put new hub/braring assembly on stub axle
Replace and torque up the hub nut
Replace hub nut cap
Replace caliper/carrier
Replace wheel
Lower car

Check brakes

Go for drive.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I think I can stretch to that, and with the saving I can treat myself to the set of axle stands I've been eyeing up to do the job with.

Deleted member 62899

with only 17 fuel ups cant be to many miles,
I'm on 63 fuel ups & nearly 30k miles.
surely something is wrong.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Haven't updated fuelly in ages.
I'm on 42.5k

Sounds low for wheel bearings to be going.

What state are your rear tyres in ?

I had a wheel bearing noise on my mk4 ibiza.

Changed both rear wheel bearings, both rear discs & pads.

Turned out it was a wierd wear pattern on the inside edge of the rear tyres.

They call it saw toothing and it gives the same kind of noise as faulty wheel bearings.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I don't know, I think they're OK, had enough tread left last time I checked. Had a quick google of this "saw-toothing" as I wasn't sure what you meant.
I'll get it jacked up once it's back from the bodyshop and have a look.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I don't know, I think they're OK, had enough tread left last time I checked. Had a quick google of this "saw-toothing" as I wasn't sure what you meant.
I'll get it jacked up once it's back from the bodyshop and have a look.

It's not the tread depth that matters - it's the wear pattern that causes the noise.

Was just a suggestion to save the expense and time to change what might be a good bearing.

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I suspected that I had a wheel bearing failing on my 2010 1.6 CR tdi Ibiza. On further inspection it turned out to be a distorted tyre, it gave the same "rumble" as a wheel bearing. When I ran my hand over the surface of the tyre it was evident there was an issue.

Worth checking!

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Duly noted, cheers chaps.
Looks like it's gonna be the same cost whether it's a new hub DIY'd+tools needed or a new tyre+tracking sorted. :lol: bloody thing!

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Duly noted, cheers chaps.
Looks like it's gonna be the same cost whether it's a new hub DIY'd+tools needed or a new tyre+tracking sorted. :lol: bloody thing!

There is no tracking to adjust on the rear unfortunately.

Reading other VW forums it seems to be related to the car not being loaded to the average design spec.

If you have very little weight ( only 1 person in all the time ) or too much weight ( 5 people + boot full all the time ) you stand a chance of getting wierd rear tyre wear.

DaBigDogg

Feb 3, 2010
Wirral, Merseyside
Seems like this saw toothing is more common than I thought. My rears suffer terribly from it and it does make a loud reverberation sound once the tyre has gone that way. I have since bought multi directional tyres so I can swap them over to even out the wear.

Does anyone know how this can be solved permanently? It is lowered I wonder if this has altered the geometry?

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
so, I'm not sure what the issue is, the rear left tyre does appear to have a slightly odd wear pattern to it, I'm not sure if it's come out well in the pictures, but some parts of the edge have worn down more than others, in some places there groove between blocks is almost non existant and in others it's a good mm or two. (the left is the inside edge)

IMAG0464_zps9b35dfa7.jpg

IMAG0465_zps64c040d8.jpg

This is a video of the wheel being spun because I'll be honest, I'm not sure what I was supposed to be listening for!

http://s141.photobucket.com/user/nightflightdan/media/VIDEO0036_zpse7c0e7d3.mp4.html

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Can you take a photo looking across the tread from the outside of the wheel making sure you can see the inside edge of the tyre

miner69er

Aug 4, 2011
Hi Nightflight. unfortunately any noise of the bearing is drowned out by the sound of the pads touching the disc. The most obvious way to check if the bearing has gone is to jack the rear up with handbrake off (make sure you have an axel stand in place and wheel chocks in front and behind of front wheels please!!!) place one hand at 12 and one hand at 6 o'clock and try to rock the wheel pushing with top hand pulling with bottom hand and vice versa. If there is any feeling of play or a knock of the wheel moving then the bearing has failed. also do this with hands at 9 and 3 o'clock.
Thats the best i can describe to you, it all comes down to feel. Hope thats of some use.

DaBigDogg

Feb 3, 2010
Wirral, Merseyside
The rear left wheel is the one that causes me issues too. A hawkeye laser wheel alignment check confirms that it is out of alignment so I wonder if this is like yours. That is very heavy wear though mine isn't that bad!