SC16v's MK5 Sport SC **Index Pg1** Now Sold

LairyT

Claire
Jul 15, 2010
Lincolnshire
Ok, so turns out I have broken my number plate light fitting a little, but dealer chap reckons it won't fall out so to leave it for time being.
My next problem - the LEDs in my interior lights - when you have it switched to coming on when car unlocked/doors open etc but not actually got doors open/unlocked the drivers map reading LED is drawing power and lighting up a little, not fully but it is on. When I drove home tonight it was on a little, and it has been all day at work and when I locked it and left it tonight. If you then press the button to have the drivers light on constantly, the middle bulb (the festoon one) starts to draw some power and comes on slightly. Why is it doing this? Will it drain the battery/do damage to have the light drawing power say overnight/during day?? Don't really want to have to have the lights off unless I turn them on manually

Last edited:

LairyT

Claire
Jul 15, 2010
Lincolnshire
Not having much luck with my lighting changes :( I promise it's not me being a 'typical girl'. Had someone else look at it and it's not something I've done wrong

LairyT

Claire
Jul 15, 2010
Lincolnshire
Yeah if you could check if yours do it and then if they don't I can always get same LEDs as yours. I swapped bullbs around this morning, using my other LEDs and my other half's too and it does it with all of them which suggests if anything, it's the car not the bulbs. But yeah, please let me know, I'd appreciate that.

LairyT

Claire
Jul 15, 2010
Lincolnshire
Clare, mine seem to work fine and don't stay lit up, hope this helps

On other forums it seems that on some cars there is always a small current running through the circuit but because normal bulbs take more power to light them, you are not aware of it until you put LEDs in as they need less power, so they might glow. Therefore you think you have a problem but you don't as it was always there you just didn't know.
It also is a sign of cheap LEDs apparently :(

So might have to get your ones if it's alright in your car as it's kind of distracting having a little glow in the dark. Thanks for checking though.

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
On other forums it seems that on some cars there is always a small current running through the circuit but because normal bulbs take more power to light them, you are not aware of it until you put LEDs in as they need less power, so they might glow. Therefore you think you have a problem but you don't as it was always there you just didn't know.
It also is a sign of cheap LEDs apparently :(

So might have to get your ones if it's alright in your car as it's kind of distracting having a little glow in the dark. Thanks for checking though.

I've sent you a PM with the bulbs I used

Wanna get the CANBUS ones before i put them in, otherwise it will look quite odd won't it?

Good idea mate :)

Haven't been here for a while and u have a new car:clap:
Great job...

Lol not quite a new car but does look a bit nicer now.

Managed to blow the interior light fuse last night while changing the boot light, had to get a lift down to halfords to get a fuse as none of my rear lights were working :-o

All fixed now though :)

char_baby

Charlotte :)
Apr 26, 2010
Hampshire
I've sent you a PM with the bulbs I used

Good idea mate :)

Lol not quite a new car but does look a bit nicer now.

Managed to blow the interior light fuse last night while changing the boot light, had to get a lift down to halfords to get a fuse as none of my rear lights were working :-o

All fixed now though :)

So thats why you asked about spare fuses haha.

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
UPDATE :

Got a few things in the post this morning! First off was another white LED bulb for the boot (44mm one this time) :

bootbulb.jpg

How it looked before :

bootlight.jpg

and after :

bootlight1.jpg

Will get some night pictures a bit later and put a guide up in the MK5 section! I also got my stubby aerial, this is how it looked before :

aerial.jpg

New aerial size :

aerial1.jpg

Next to the old aerial :

aerial2.jpg

and a few now it's on the car :

aerial3.jpg

aerial4.jpg

Love the look of it and Radio 1 is still working so all is well so far :)