DPF Light On, Limp Mode

• Thread starter frontlineracing
  • Start date

frontlineracing

Right so the other day driving along and the DPF light came on, then i didnt know what it was so carried on driving, then just yesterday the car went into to limp mode and the coil light start flashing and the engine light came on. Parked it back up at home done some research found out that best to take it on the motorway keep it in 3rd gear at just under 3k revs as it dont go over that, done that 20 mins drive but nothing.
Put the car on diagnostic and fault code P2002 came up.
Could anyone help me what can i do next is it a sensor, just the filter or the whole DPF need changing?
And also at idle its at 0.75k revs, checked it after the drive.

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Right so the other day driving along and the DPF light came on, then i didnt know what it was so carried on driving, then just yesterday the car went into to limp mode and the coil light start flashing and the engine light came on. Parked it back up at home done some research found out that best to take it on the motorway keep it in 3rd gear at just under 3k revs as it dont go over that, done that 20 mins drive but nothing.
Put the car on diagnostic and fault code P2002 came up.
Could anyone help me what can i do next is it a sensor, just the filter or the whole DPF need changing?
And also at idle its at 0.75k revs, checked it after the drive.

P2002 = Particulate Trap Effieciency Below Threshold

either sensor or filter itself

how many miles has the car done?

frontlineracing

Does the whole engine need to come out to change the filter?
Had a quote of £800 for the filter

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
Does the whole engine need to come out to change the filter?
Had a quote of £800 for the filter

No the filter is down the back of the engine and is connected to the exhaust, unbolts and comes off as one piece.

Mate of mine had a Skoda Octavia VRS with the same problem, 128k miles and same error code.

He got a remanufactured filter, fitted and reset counter...... light wouldnt go off and in the end he took his original filter to a jet wash and spent 20 mins clearing out the old filter, refitted and took for drive, 5 mins later light went out and all was well.........

still going 30k later with no probs!

Saving himself £800+

jrsmooth

Jan 6, 2009
Derby(ish)
Lot of people are saying that, how do go about doing it, any cons?

Some tuning companies offer it, JBS in Chesterfield, Derbyshire is where I had mine done along with mds1256 above.

Benefits:

220 - 240 bhp

More MPG if driven nicely, I regularly get over 600 per tank on motorway trips.

Bit more of a grunty sound (not much difference IMO)

Cons:

Dirty back door (more diesel spots)

On the limit of the clutch (mines still fine)

Potential MOT law change resulting in a fail (due to emissions)

Cost (mds1256 and I took advantage of a group buy, still cheaper than a new DPF tho)

Think that covers it. Did I mention POWER!!! :cartman:

Dangerous Dave

Dec 11, 2006
No the filter is down the back of the engine and is connected to the exhaust, unbolts and comes off as one piece.

Mate of mine had a Skoda Octavia VRS with the same problem, 128k miles and same error code.

He got a remanufactured filter, fitted and reset counter...... light wouldnt go off and in the end he took his original filter to a jet wash and spent 20 mins clearing out the old filter, refitted and took for drive, 5 mins later light went out and all was well.........

still going 30k later with no probs!

Saving himself £800+

Good to know jet washing the filter works on the newer ones it was common with the DPFs on 307s, another option is to put the DPF in a kiln and bake it at 600-700c.

frontlineracing

Right so about £900 all in, supply fitted & remap.
Just need to get that sort of money together now.

frontlineracing

Sorted it, took it to a garage and they regenerated it for me at a good price.
Light off power back :D

mikependleton

You've probs got 1 sensor saying your DPF is full and needs blasting out and another that says it isnt. I had the same issue, SEAT changed the sensor and then used up all my fuel to clean the DPF!