GS-D3s have stopped working

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
Never thought I'd post this but my Goodyear GS-D3s are not working :help:
Since the weather turned cooler and damper, I do not have much traction pulling away. Earlier, I pulled away from a junction, the car wheeled spun through gears 1-3! Last week, in the rain, I had to creep away from the Dartford toll booths as the tyres just did not grip.

I had these tyres on my old Cupra and don't recall having as bad a problem in the cool damp conditions ....

Anyone else with the same experience??

Oct 12, 2005
YES!!! I have had mine all around for about 4 weeks now and also having trouble with traction. The wheels spin and the car judders. I thought that the goodyears could handle the torque. I reckon the orginal potenzas may be better:blink:

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Its probably just the torque surge of the turbo when your booting it. The Torque of your 1.8T would have been much more gradual, where as the TDI will go from ~100lbs to 300lbs in as little as 500rpm!

Youve just got to be more gentle and gradual with your power delivery mate, otherwise it wont be the wheels that are slipping, itll be your clutch.

PS: I have crap tryes and mine spins in 4th if i poke it... And its very long geared! However if i spend 2 secs fully depressing the peddle it wont even slip in 1st or 2nd

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
Its probably just the torque surge of the turbo when your booting it. The Torque of your 1.8T would have been much more gradual, where as the TDI will go from ~100lbs to 300lbs in as little as 500rpm!

Youve just got to be more gentle and gradual with your power delivery mate, otherwise it wont be the wheels that are slipping, itll be your clutch.

PS: I have crap tryes and mine spins in 4th if i poke it... And its very long geared! However if i spend 2 secs fully depressing the peddle it wont even slip in 1st or 2nd

I do take it gently but sometimes, you are in situations where putting your foot down is necessary! I have a feeling the compound of the GS-D3s is just not adaptable to cool conditions. I do have some steel rims in the garage but have been holding back on getting the all season tyres as this winter looks to be "warm".

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Yes I guess they are summer tyres, meant to perform at their best in warm dry conditions, not on the cold damp tarmac of winter.

My fronts (Toyo T1R) are worn out, was going to get another set of winter tyres like I had on the Ibiza last year, but it's still warm...can't decide.
Sod's law states that if I go for summer tyres again it'll start snowing for the next few weeks, and if I get winters it'll be the warmest winter on record....:think:

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
Yes I guess they are summer tyres, meant to perform at their best in warm dry conditions, not on the cold damp tarmac of winter.

My fronts (Toyo T1R) are worn out, was going to get another set of winter tyres like I had on the Ibiza last year, but it's still warm...can't decide.
Sod's law states that if I go for summer tyres again it'll start snowing for the next few weeks, and if I get winters it'll be the warmest winter on record....:think:

Yes, it is very hard call this year. December seems like October :shrug:

sportbilly

thinking out loud
Oct 8, 2001
in my car
Visit site
Surely this will be a problem with most tyres at the moment, its pretty greasy out there at the moment.

Goodyears are great in the dry and I would say wet to but greasy maybe not ... what tyres are though ...

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Maybe put your pressures down mate? I once filled my tyres up on a freezing day (about -2 Degrees) but recently the temps have been going as high as 14 Degrees.

If theres any dramatic change in temperature, re-fill them to accommodate it. My car felt very understeery untill i did.

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
Maybe put your pressures down mate? I once filled my tyres up on a freezing day (about -2 Degrees) but recently the temps have been going as high as 14 Degrees.

If theres any dramatic change in temperature, re-fill them to accommodate it. My car felt very understeery untill i did.

Will check that over the weekend. Drier today and there was more traction.

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site

Or get them filled with nitrogen !

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
Sorted the problem with these tyres .... I swapped them with something else!
Looked at pressures, that did nothing to help the situation.

A super fine tyre in the temps above 10C, below that, they just can't cope....

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Ask some of the European members, I think legally they have to run with winter tyres at this time of year, or as condition dictate. And they bring out their summer tyes in the summer (ie the ones we tend to use all year round). :p

Kam

Prof. Myang Li - Yum!
Jun 6, 2002
South East
Visit site
Ask some of the European members, I think legally they have to run with winter tyres at this time of year, or as condition dictate. And they bring out their summer tyes in the summer (ie the ones we tend to use all year round). :p

Yeah! I have all-seasons on at the moment. They do the job.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.