HOW TO: Second Remote Key ithout being fleeced by $tealers - NO VAG-CO

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
Hi All,

My Golf MkV came with 2 remote keys, my Leon didn't... Obviously I blame a bean counter somewhere in Spain for this, but it didn't stop SWMBO getting annoyed at me if I was late back to the car and it was raining and she couldn't get in... Because I had the key.

Anyway, I bought a used fob from a chap on Fleabay for £24.00 called ShaidK_123 who will be able to confirm whether the fob will work with your vehicle or not. Link to similar item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEWER-TYPE-SE...oryZ9889QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures whilst I was doing this, but will take a couple later and update this guide.

STEP 1)

Before you buy a key, you need to check that it is the same frequency and part number. Also, buy one with a blank blade. To check the part number you need to pull the key apart, insert a screwdriver in the side of your key fob, where the key folds in and twist.

The key will come apart. The part number is printed on the part with the remote buttons.

STEP 2)

Now you need to remove the existing blade and trandsponder from the new key. You don't need to remove the transponder if you have VAG-COM as you can code the transponder to the car. However if you don't have VAG-COM you can remove the tranpsonder from your spare key and put it in the new key... PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BREAK THE TRANSPONDER FROM YOUR ORIGINAL SPARE KEY...

First, remove the transponder from the new remote key. To do this you need to remove the little SEAT sticker and underneath you will find a small cross head screw. Undo this and the key will come apart. The transponder is a small, glass capsule in quite a deep pocket in one half of the key. I broke the glass on this one when I was trying to get it out... It doesn't matter if you do as you don't need this.

STEP 3)

Next you need to remove the transponder from the original, non-remote key. The key will prise apart quite easily but getting the tranpsonder out intact is tricky. It is glued in with a resin adhesive. I used my trusty Dremmel with a fine point engraving tip and dug at the plastic around the transponder, making sure I didn't touch the glass transponder. Patience is requried here as the last thing you want to do is trash this bit as you will then have to fork out at the $tealers... Eventually it will come out.

STEP 4)

Use a little glue from a hot glue gun to stick the transponder from the old spare key in to the new remote key.

STEP 5)

Remove the old blade from the new remote key by driving the small rolled pin out of the shiny metal base. I used a 1.5mm punch to do this. With the rolled pin removed the old key blade will come out. You may need to use a pair of pliers.

Step 6)

Take your original key and the spare blade to Mr. Minit or Timpsons and ask them to cut the blade... With the blank now cut, insert it back in to the base and replace the rolled pin.

STEP 7)

Reassemble the key. The spring will need to be tensioned. Just line everything up loosely with the key in the extended position then, with the spring engaged in the relevant retainers, give the upper part (where the logo stickjer was) one complete turn anti-clockwise to tension it. Then press it back together. Test it works properly and replace the screw.

STEP 8)

Test the key starts the car.

STEP 9)

Now you need to program the car so the new remote will open and close the car remotely. To do this follow the instructions in the manual, which I think are as follows: With the car locked, open it with the original remote, then put it in the ignition and turn it on, but don't start the car. Close the drivers door and then lock it using the new key in the lock. You then have to unlock it with the new key using the drivers door lock then within 20 seconds you press the lock button on the new remote. The car should lock. Then unlock it with the new remote, keeping the unlock button pressed for 2 seconds. Remove key from ignition and test both keys open and start car.

STEP 10)

Put new sticker on new remote fob to cover screw (£2.70 from $tealer)

STEP 11)

Finished. Go to pub.

I can't take the credit for all of this, I found most of the info in the Beeza section but thought a complete guide would help. I will update this soon with piccys.

Regards,

fM

Last edited:

JonoUK

Apr 29, 2007
North Yorkshire
Does anyone know what part numbers (i've been looking on ebay) for vag remote fobs do or don't work with the Leon?

Also, anyone around Newcastle/York with VAG-COM? :D

HotHatchSteve

Jul 6, 2009
I dont know if other people have had this problem, but on my facelift I could not add another remote using the method in the manual or by any of the methods on the net, I had to use VAGCOM.

koush

Oct 30, 2010
Churchdown,Gloucester
Doh! Just read the post above mine, I guess the answer is yes. So the next question is is there anyone with VAGCOM that can program my key for me in the Gloucester/Bristol/Birmingham area that can help me out for beer money?

Koush

306Chris

Jan 20, 2007
OK any decent tips for getting the transponder out of the mechanical key?

I've got rid of the plastic lug that looks to retain it but it still doesnt move!

What method has anyone successfully used?

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Nail varnish remover, pin, time and plenty of patience :)

I had on old key so chopped most the key up around it until it would pop out. Have scratched all the glue around it too on another key. Nail varnish remover should soften the glue a little.