Changing turbo on mk1 LCR (BAM)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
It's looking like my turbo may be in a bad way. Whining sound at low revs and idle that changes with engine RPM, car started consuming a bit of oil, occasionally get a bit of excess exhaust fumes a few seconds after coming off boost for a moment. Last time it was logged it was meeting requested boost but I haven't had a chance to check for shaft play yet.

So, assuming the worst... For a relative beginner, is it realistic to think I could change the turbo myself? If so, what sort of tools do I need and will I have to get under the car? Safe enough on axle stands?

If not then what would be a reasonable expectation on time it would take a competent garage to do this?

Finally, I've been quoted £400 for an exchange, reconditioned K04-023 by AET turbos. Anyone know of anywhere better and/or cheaper than that?

By the way, I know some folks will suggest going hybrid while I'm at it but I really can't afford or justify not just the extra cost for the turbo but all the supporting stuff.

Cheers in advance
8bit

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
As one of the first jobs you would be looking to do on your car a turbo change is not the best one for you.
There are so many things that can go wrong and if your doing it on your drive and there's a big issue you'd have to get it towed to a garage for them to sort out the issue.
If you are going to do this then only buy the best of tools as a cheap spanner can be the difference between the job going well and it being a complete PITA that you need extra assistance with.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
That's kinda what I'm afraid of, yeah. Looking like the better part of £600 just for the turbo with VAT and delivery, 5 or 6 hour's labour on top of that is tough to swallow. If it is the turbo then it's going to have to wait a bit.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
That's kinda what I'm afraid of, yeah. Looking like the better part of £600 just for the turbo with VAT and delivery, 5 or 6 hour's labour on top of that is tough to swallow. If it is the turbo then it's going to have to wait a bit.

You really need to know for sure about this.
Some investigation will help you decide what's going on and let you confirm for yourself if you want to take on the job yourself or not.
If a garage recons on 6 hours you should at least double it for the time it'll take you to.do it all going well.
You also need to consider what's your time worth to you. Do you want the cost of buying tooling at £300 plus the stress?

cupra_r_ick

Jan 29, 2011
wave 150 cash under some independants nose and youll get a turbo swapped.... trust me lol

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
You really need to know for sure about this.
Some investigation will help you decide what's going on and let you confirm for yourself if you want to take on the job yourself or not.
If a garage recons on 6 hours you should at least double it for the time it'll take you to.do it all going well.
You also need to consider what's your time worth to you. Do you want the cost of buying tooling at £300 plus the stress?

I see your point and if I'm honest I am mostly thinking what you're thinking, just there's a nagging voice telling me "I should be able to do this stuff myself". Doing all the investigating now, looks like the noise might be the aircon or similar but there's still the oil consumption and the occasional puffs of smoke so will need to get to the bottom of it. Doesn't help that the history of the car in the time I've had it hasn't been good.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise