esp won't turn off!! help!!

liama84

Hi all, can any one please help? Own a 56 plate leon fr tdi. Was driving my car yesterday and when I went turn off the the esp nothing happened. The light on the dash does not come on. The traction control works cos it kicks in when I pulled away hard and the light flashes on the dash, so all fine there, not the bulb as I 1st thought. Just can't turn the dam thing off.

Had the accelerator peddle changed last month cos the glow plug warning light started flashing and went into limp mode. Could the garage have done something to the esp when changing the peddle??Anyone any ideas??

jimmy32

Sounds like it could be you ABS pump! If it is and you got seat service history should be replaced for free

liama84

Even tho the esp is working? Just won't give me the option to turn it off

jimmy32

Could be a faulty switch but usually it is the pump that fails

liama84

i'll run a diaognostics next week when I get it serviced. Traction control and abs work fine. Took it out for a spin and they kick in fine when needed. So surly abs pump is working. I'll keep posted what happens

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
It will be the infamous G201 error. Your ABS pump electrical sensor has failed.

The car can still be driven, yes your brakes will still work but I'm sure if you had an MOT soon it will be a failure due to the new rules about warning lights etc.. i was lucky and just had one before my car developed the fault.

Here is more info:

http://www.sinspeed.co.uk/volkswage...t-brake-pressure-sender-sensor-switch-failure

Don't panic. I've just had mine replaced free of charge by Seat a couple of weeks ago. My Cupra is six years old, heavily modified but with full service history etc....

Give Seat UK a call and explain to them what has happened and what you suspect. If you have access to VCDS then do a scan and you will most probably get 99.9% certain the G201 error. However your local dealer will want to do their own scan if you are asked to book it in.

Depends on Seat really. Give them a call.

Last edited:

Dan_FR_21

Aug 10, 2012
Wiltshire, UK
Well that's a good feature, you would think the ABS light would come on if there is a fault with the ABS pump.

Although I don't think this G201 error is the cause. As I read it the car has NO warning lights illuminated. liama84 is trying to disable the traction control using the ESP button. The expected outcome would be the ESP light constantly on after holding the button down for a few seconds.

Yeah my first guess would be the button, especially if you have a habit of disabling ESP on a regular basis. Not sure if a scan will show a problem with the button tho, as I don't think there is any error checking on the button.

Please correct me if I have completely read this wrong.

liama84

Yes Dan your 100% correct. I'm not getting any warning lights what so ever, it works fine apart from when I tried to disable the esp, nothing happens. It's like the esp button is broken.

liama84

R6 allan. thanks for the link but that is not what is happening with my car. I'm not getting any warning lights. Esp is working like it should, just can't disable it when I press the ESP button

Dan_FR_21

Aug 10, 2012
Wiltshire, UK
Yes Dan your 100% correct. I'm not getting any warning lights what so ever, it works fine apart from when I tried to disable the esp, nothing happens. It's like the esp button is broken.

Like you say, ESP working but it's like the button isn't.

Have you tried removing the central console and check that a wire hasn't come lose? If that doesn't fix it then maybe an auto electrician can check the switch, but this will obvious cost you. The only DIY way of diagnosing the button that I can think of, is to persuade someone with a Leon to test their button in your car (if you are friendly with your local garage they may have one that you could used to test it).

Anyway good luck on finding a fix :thumbup:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
My bad, I read it wrong :doh:. Probably duff switch as said. Some on the Mk1's fail quite spectacularly and fly off when pushed. One lad even hoovered his up :lol: You may be able to get one out of scrapyard or contact someone who's breaking a Leon on ebay etc...

Mar 22, 2012
South east
Why not pop the switch out disconnect it, put a multimeter across it and check the resistance as you operate the switch? Should be easy enough to tell if the switch is duff!

liama84

It's working!! Took the switch out and had a fiddle about with it, then all of a sudden it starts working again. The switch must be on it's way out or maybe a faulty connection somewhere. Gonna keep an eye on it and if it happens again i'll take it in to get looked at.

Thanks for the input guys :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.