condensation rear light clusters (Seat bulletin)

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Sorry I know a post was started not so long back about this but still read.
Went to the dealer today as my condensation has now turned into water Drops on both sides of the rear clusters one worse than the other and not drying.

The good news is Seat have a bulletin about the problem but won't automatically change the lights,
car needed for the day, take lights out of car check for any broken seals dry and put back in car to see if condensation comes back (this is going to work isn't). then when the condensation comes back the dealer will put in a claim to Seat.

Hopefully I will get two new back lights, but still no gaurantee

Sorry if this has been covered but can't find thread.

Red cupra280 dsg

Last edited:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Took my car in today for them to take their pictures to send off.
Earliest they can book my car in is 9th Jan :( and have booked me a replacement car for the day as well as they want to check the lights properly as said above.

It's more hassle than it needs to be. The light lets in water/moisture which is obvious with no obvious damage. 5 mins to change the unit and be on my way but looks like I have to be a guinea pig instead.
Tempted to try and claim back the 50% I paid for the other light which had the same problem last year :rolleyes:

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
Im starting to get the impression seat dont like paying to replace parts under warranty, my noisy caliper lubricated and noise coming back, why they did not replace on a 6 month old car, and they wonder why they score low in satisfaction surveys

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I think you might be right there, but probably no different from and other brand.

Seems they don't mind insisting on doing the campaign for the door rattles as it's a cheap fix for them :(

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Sorry I know a post was started not so long back about this but still read.
Went to the dealer today as my condensation has now turned into water Drops on both sides of the rear clusters one worse than the other and not drying.

The good news is Seat have a bulletin about the problem but won't automatically change the lights,
car needed for the day, take lights out of car check for any broken seals dry and put back in car to see if condensation comes back (this is going to work isn't). then when the condensation comes back the dealer will put in a claim to Seat.

Hopefully I will get two new back lights, but still no gaurantee

Sorry if this has been covered but can't find thread.

Red cupra280 dsg

:funk:Just had phone call to say 2 rear lights now in, have to now phone dealer to make an appointment to have them fitted.

Result

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Good news then for the replacements :)

I actually had my car booked in today for the N/S rear light and they originally said needed car for a day, but dealer called yesterday to say that seat told them to just fit a new light instead :) Does seem like a common problem.

Both my rears have now been replaced.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Exact same problem with mine - a Leon SC FR registered July 2014. I only picked it up used a couple of weeks ago...

The problem is much worse in the passenger side but there is also a little condensation in the driver side. I'm most concerned if this moisture would cause any potential electrical issues in the car? Are the electrical components still sealed within the cluster or are they now exposed to it?

EDIT: I actually was looking around yesterday at many cars (all makes) to see if this was a common issue. The only car I saw condensation in?... a SEAT Altea :p Oh dear!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Exact same problem with mine - a Leon SC FR registered July 2014. I only picked it up used a couple of weeks ago...

The problem is much worse in the passenger side but there is also a little condensation in the driver side. I'm most concerned if this moisture would cause any potential electrical issues in the car? Are the electrical components still sealed within the cluster or are they now exposed to it?

EDIT: I actually was looking around yesterday at many cars (all makes) to see if this was a common issue. The only car I saw condensation in?... a SEAT Altea :p Oh dear!

Have not had time to book mine in yet will do tomorrow but my passenger side was worse, the driver side is now dry as we have little rain and have not cleaned the car in for a week.

Get it booked in and you should get some new lights.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I have mine booked in at a SEAT dealer today to have both rear light clusters looked at. I'll let you guys know how I get on... don't fancy a £250 bill after having the car 3 weeks.

I asked the service advisor if it was a common thing as it seemed strange both sides were leaking. Apparently, he's never seen a Leon with the issue. Don't know if that's true or I'm genuinely unlucky.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2009
norwich
I have mine booked in at a SEAT dealer today to have both rear light clusters looked at. I'll let you guys know how I get on... don't fancy a £250 bill after having the car 3 weeks.

I asked the service advisor if it was a common thing as it seemed strange both sides were leaking. Apparently, he's never seen a Leon with the issue. Don't know if that's true or I'm genuinely unlucky.

Had both mine changed on Monday of this week done under warranty, if you have any problems ask them to look for the bulletin.

Don't think you will have a problem with seat changing them but I had to wait about a month but that may be because of Christmas, took about 30 mins fit good luck.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Had both mine changed on Monday of this week done under warranty, if you have any problems ask them to look for the bulletin.

Don't think you will have a problem with seat changing them but I had to wait about a month but that may be because of Christmas, took about 30 mins fit good luck.

Just a quick update. I got the passenger rear light cluster replaced no issue. That was a no quibble thing as it had got pretty bad. The driver side they claimed didn't seem damp when inspected. I was a bit surprised as I'd seen condensation in it the day before. Sure enough, I could still see it there today...

The service advisor has said to keep an eye on it and bring it back if it gets worse. They have to put a case forward to SEAT and I think the truth (rather than they hadn't seen it) is that they didn't think it was bad enough for SEAT to pay for a whole new cluster. I'm not too fussed at the moment - my main concern is that it isn't going to cause any long term damage and I don't think condensation alone will do that. It will also probably dry out as the weather warms up.

So yeah, a bit of a mixed bag...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise