Location of the ECT Sensor 1.6 16v

Smurphh

May 11, 2015
Right then!:happy:

This is a very little visual guide for people like me who want to be extra super 100% definitely sure they are messing with the right stuff!

I looked all over for even a picture depicting it on the 1.6 16v engine in a Leon Mk1 and could not find anything satisfactory!:rolleyes::think:

So, as I followed the guide for idiots on here, I couldn't see the sensor from this view, which is looking into the engine bay from the front right side, or passenger side.

srnQj1e.jpg

Nothing. So I took the engine cover off, which I didn't for the pictures because the engine was warm after a drive out to Euro Car Parts for a cabin filer.. And I couldn't be arsed.

When I took the cover off I had a better view down the side of the engine on the right hand side:

NuShRST.jpg

(note the out of focus engine cover at the front of the image)

The sensor that was in place was also a genuine Green one. I used an ebay one which was a fiver.

This is a better picture of the sensor in the thermostat. It was also as close as possible I could get to having a fully top down picture, yes it is at that angle and yes it is a bit tight for me with my sausage fingers!:

yZvjblE.jpg

This is the old sensor.. Bit tired!

6I7sDYu.jpg

My temp gauge now works and more importantly it starts up much better with an already warm engine!

Cheers!

:D

Original text from this post:
Hi all

Lovely little problem that I have diagnosed as being the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor, which I shall be replacing saturday morning.

I've looked for guides.. Or even a simple picture of the location of the sensor but nothing for the 1.6.

I want to make sure I am looking in the correct place before i start pulling things out of places!

Anyone able to help?

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The best answer I can come up with is "next to the thermostat" - this is by looking at Elsawin diagrams. The water pump is connected to a sort of coolant manifold at the other end of the engine by a long pipe. The CTS is in that manifold, as is the thermostat.

Smurphh

May 11, 2015
Cheers muttley. Turns out I have been looking on the wrong side of the Thermostat.. lol.

To any 1.6 16v Drivers Ill throw a pic or two up (forum rules allowing) to show you where it is.

Fiddly one compared to the main tutorial I have seen for a 1.8t !!

Smurphh

May 11, 2015
Right then!

This is a very little visual guide for people like me who want to be extra super 100% definitely sure they are messing with the right stuff!

I looked all over for even a picture depicting it on the 1.6 16v engine in a Leon Mk1 and could not find anything satisfactory!

So, as I followed the guide for idiots on here, I couldn't see the sensor from this view, which is looking into the engine bay from the front right side, or passenger side.

srnQj1e.jpg

Nothing. So I took the engine cover off, which I didn't for the pictures because the engine was warm after a drive out to Euro Car Parts for a cabin filer.. And I couldn't be arsed.

When I took the cover off I had a better view down the side of the engine on the right hand side:

NuShRST.jpg

(note the out of focus engine cover at the front of the image)

The sensor that was in place was also a genuine Green one. I used an ebay one which was a fiver.

This is a better picture of the sensor in the thermostat. It was also as close as possible I could get to having a fully top down picture, yes it is at that angle and yes it is a bit tight for me with my sausage fingers!:

yZvjblE.jpg

This is the old sensor.. Bit tired!

6I7sDYu.jpg

My temp gauge now works and more importantly it starts up much better with an already warm engine!

Cheers!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise