1.4 act FR - dull rattle

servicepoint

Jan 30, 2016
My car has now covered about 2500 miles and on the whole I have to say I like it, the DSG is great and the engine is smooth and fairly economical.

Now for the bad bit, the car has progressively developed a dull rattle from somewhere around the rear door / parcel shelf / fuel tank area ( drivers side) and it's driving me up the wall so to speak. I'm normally good at locating and curing rattles etc but this has got me beat. I've been under the rear seat, in the boot, tried everything. Has anyone experience similar and can point me in the right direction?
It's not a metallic rattle.

ched60

Mar 19, 2016
Kent
1.4 tsi - dull rattle

I have this same problem, it is very frustrating. If I push against the back seats and parcel shelf area it has stopped, I've literally stopped to refuel and it started again. It is something I'll mention when I have a service, but I'll be interested to see how many others have the same issue. :confused:

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
...I've been under the rear seat, in the boot, tried everything. Has anyone experience similar and can point me in the right direction?
It's not a metallic rattle.
A few possibles to try:
1. Give the (cold!) exhaust a wiggle, tail pipes first and then centre section. If a mounting rubber has gone missing the exhaust can move, if it contacts an undersealed area you can get a dull knocking.

2. Rear shocks debris shield. Look over the top of the rear wheels, there's a plastic tube which covers the exposed shaft of the shock, it locates into an aluminium fitting at the upper mounting point. The plastic can separate from the ally fitting and again gives a dull rattle/knock.

3. Rear seat catches. There needs to be a reasonable amount of "pre-load" on the seat retaining latch, if not you can get movement and... knocking. Try driving with the rear seats folded flat to diagnose. As a temporary measure wrap some insulating tape around the metal loop of the latch, this should increase the pre-load whilst stopping direct contact of the 2 parts responsible for any noise.

4. Still no joy? Rear hatch rattle similar to the seat issue above, try the same "tape fix" as above to aid diagnosis.

... If I push against the back seats and parcel shelf area it has stopped... :confused:
Try 3 above, as you seem to have isolated your noise to the seat mech.

Last edited:

Brady93

Jan 28, 2014
Worcestershire
Is the rattle you speak of similar to a squeaking sound? I have a squeaky type sound that comes from the place you mention, sounds similar to seat fabric or leathers rubbing against each other.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Several reports here of rear shock top mounts being replaced under warranty. I have asked for the suspension to be checked over by the dealer network twice now to no avail. :(

servicepoint

Jan 30, 2016
A few possibles to try:
1. Give the (cold!) exhaust a wiggle, tail pipes first and then centre section. If a mounting rubber has gone missing the exhaust can move, if it contacts an undersealed area you can get a dull knocking.

2. Rear shocks debris shield. Look over the top of the rear wheels, there's a plastic tube which covers the exposed shaft of the shock, it locates into an aluminium fitting at the upper mounting point. The plastic can separate from the ally fitting and again gives a dull rattle/knock.

3. Rear seat catches. There needs to be a reasonable amount of "pre-load" on the seat retaining latch, if not you can get movement and... knocking. Try driving with the rear seats folded flat to diagnose. As a temporary measure wrap some insulating tape around the metal loop of the latch, this should increase the pre-load whilst stopping direct contact of the 2 parts responsible for any noise.

4. Still no joy? Rear hatch rattle similar to the seat issue above, try the same "tape fix" as above to aid diagnosis.

Try 3 above, as you seem to have isolated your noise to the seat mech.

Dr Dash, thanks for such a full response... I dropped the rear seat ( side of the noise), made a short journey and all was quiet. I've quickly taped eound the U fixings and put the seat back into position so hopefully this solves the rattle. Will update once I've had the car back out tomorrow.

servicepoint

Jan 30, 2016
Is the rattle you speak of similar to a squeaking sound? I have a squeaky type sound that comes from the place you mention, sounds similar to seat fabric or leathers rubbing against each other.

No not squeaky, a dull chatter / rattle. I was even thinking it might be something to do with the fuel tank but hopefully just the rear seat fixing.

Brady93

Jan 28, 2014
Worcestershire
Interesting, I'll try what you've done too, see if that helps. I never knew we had clips to push the seat belt into until I was poking about in the back yesterday! It's always the little things eh.

servicepoint

Jan 30, 2016
Taping the U fixings has done the trick, no more rattle. I put quite a bit of tape around them, enough to make the seat fixing tight that I had to push the seat back into the lock position.

ched60

Mar 19, 2016
Kent
That raises some concerns about the suspension mounts. I haven't even taken it off road yet.
I've just taped my U fixing with electrical tape, I'll test it on my way to and from work tomorrow and update.

ched60

Mar 19, 2016
Kent
The knocking has stopped, I wrapped some electrical tape round it and it works like a charm.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
Taping the U fixings has done the trick, no more rattle...
The knocking has stopped, I wrapped some electrical tape round it and it works like a charm.
:thumbup:
Result! Glad you've both identified the source. Once you've heard a rattle it's impossible to ignore.
I had the rear seat rattle on my Mk4 Golf, drove me nuts.

My Leon's developed a slight rpm related buzz from the instrument binnacle, which I think may require a dealer visit as I don't fancy taking the dash out myself.:duck::stars:

Luke_bank

Aug 11, 2017
Anyone have any more suggestions on this please?

I’ve got a two week old Leon FR and I’ve got an annoying rattle from the rear. So far I’ve:

- Put the back seats down to eliminate the seat catch issue mention above
- Removed the parcel shelf
- Moved everything that was in the back to the front
- Cleaned all the door seals
- Gone around feeling everything bit of plastic/trim for play

It’s still there....

The only noise I picked up was a slightly squeak when the passenger side rear door is fully open and you rock it slightly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KON LAZOGIANNIS

Sep 14, 2018
My all new Leon ST (5F) on the 3rd day started to show a knock at the rear right side...If the cause of this knocking is the rear seat catches that would be very bad...I had the exact same cause of noise in my old Leon 1M 17 years ago!

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
My Leon's developed a slight rpm related buzz from the instrument binnacle, which I think may require a dealer visit as I don't fancy taking the dash out myself.:duck::stars:
My previous car (not Seat) developed a buzz from N/S dash top but I resisted having the dealer remove the dash to cure it as it would have meant more rattles than before!

Reactions: Dr.Dash
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise