1.4 ehybrid PHEV charging - how many hours from empty to full on 13A 3pin (granny cable) 230v supply?

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
Hello All,

How long does it take you to charge your 1.4 ehybrid battery pack using a 'granny cable' (not a wallbox) from empty to full?

Background. Currently I am using a dual rate tariff (Economy 7) as I charge my Outlander PHEV nightly via its granny cable (not a wallbox) - I never use all of the 7 hours, the Outlander usually full after 4 hours from empty via the 3 pin 13A household supply.

I can potentially move to Octopus GO who offer a dual rate tariff with a 4 hour nightly rate of 5p per KwH...., which is considerably cheaper than I get from E.ON.

Is 4 hours enough to typically charge the 1.4 ehybrid battery pack? Still waiting for my Leon FR ST ehybrid to be built unfortunately..

Thanks in advance :)

Sarah

Jan 18, 2021
You are welcome :)
It's only run down so low once but I'm sure that's the time it took

Reactions: Torque69

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
Certainly it would be useful to understand what level of charge (from empty) 4 hours plugged in would achieve - 70/80/90%?!

Yeah, I know, I'm not asking for much.... :D ;)

Last edited:

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
from what iveread it takes 7 hrs using the3 pin domestic plug and nearly 4 when using charging points
Thank you, that I well understand, but trying to understand what approximate % increase per hour of charge from using 3 pin domestic plug.

Last edited:

Barnes210

Nov 26, 2021
Manchester
There's a calculation you can do which will give you a rough idea

Battery size (12.8kwh) ÷ Charger power (2.3kw my official charger that came with the car)

Approx times would be (converted from decimal)
2.3kw Charger (10amp) = 5hours 33minutes
3kw Charger (13amp) = 4hours 15minutes
3.6kw Charger (16amp) = 3hours 33minutes

Reactions: Torque69

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
There's a calculation you can do which will give you a rough idea

Battery size (12.8kwh) ÷ Charger power (2.3kw my official charger that came with the car)

Approx times would be (converted from decimal)
2.3kw Charger (10amp) = 5hours 33minutes
3kw Charger (13amp) = 4hours 15minutes
3.6kw Charger (16amp) = 3hours 33minutes
Thanks.

Well I've made the leap to Octopus from E.ON and once back in the UK from Abu Dhabi next month I'll get Octopus GO activated, so will soon know more from that specific 4 hour @5p per kwh charge window.

All a bit academic now for my Leon Phev seeing as been advised April 2022 earliest to expect delivery from its August 2021 order..., so Outlander will soldier on 🙂 until replaced

Reactions: Barnes210

Cuprakash

May 9, 2021
Bit of a thread resurrection but I've had a commando socket installed (professionally) and my charging from empty to full now takes just over 4 hours instead of the eight that it used to take on the 3 pin plug.

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
Thanks.

Well I've made the leap to Octopus from E.ON and once back in the UK from Abu Dhabi next month I'll get Octopus GO activated, so will soon know more from that specific 4 hour @5p per kwh charge window.

All a bit academic now for my Leon Phev seeing as been advised April 2022 earliest to expect delivery from its August 2021 order..., so Outlander will soldier on 🙂 until replaced
My Leon now estimated end of July...., basically 12 months from ordering!

Octopus GO working great. Charges my Outlander PHEV from 0 to full within the 4 hour cheap rate window, and for 5p a kwh cannot complain.

Torque69

Sep 18, 2021
South Birmingham
Bit of a thread resurrection but I've had a commando socket installed (professionally) and my charging from empty to full now takes just over 4 hours instead of the eight that it used to take on the 3 pin plug.
16A commando socket I presume on a dedicated mcb? I thought of wiring one into my consumer unit

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.