1.8 TFSI Need Help!

Nov 22, 2022
Hello all, I have 1.8 TFSI 160hp, 2009. Facelift. I have been experiencing weird rattling noise when under very low rpms for example 800-900rpms, or when Im taking off in 1st. Car is DSG. When I floor it the noise goes away altogether. In addition to this I have been getting fault codd P0341 Camshaft pos. Sensor and also car is having trouble starting sometimes, always starts on the third try. The rattling noise is happening ONLY when the car is warmed up! At cold start there is no noise whatsoever! I have changed both camshaft sensors the small one and the big round one. Dont know exact names. Mechanic is saying I need to change timing chain, the whole set. Im going on a trip this Monday which is 1000km there and back and want to know if its safe to go. Video link is also here to hear the sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Car has 180.000km. Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/uY74fKk2ZRU?feature=share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Hello all, I have 1.8 TFSI 160hp, 2009. Facelift. I have been experiencing weird rattling noise when under very low rpms for example 800-900rpms, or when Im taking off in 1st. Car is DSG. When I floor it the noise goes away altogether. In addition to this I have been getting fault codd P0341 Camshaft pos. Sensor and also car is having trouble starting sometimes, always starts on the third try. The rattling noise is happening ONLY when the car is warmed up! At cold start there is no noise whatsoever! I have changed both camshaft sensors the small one and the big round one. Dont know exact names. Mechanic is saying I need to change timing chain, the whole set. Im going on a trip this Monday which is 1000km there and back and want to know if its safe to go. Video link is also here to hear the sound. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Car has 180.000km. Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/uY74fKk2ZRU?feature=share

Is it from the bottom of the engine ? It sounds like big end bearings to me but could be far simpler, is exhaust all good, pulleys all good, it could be timing chain tensioner or camshaft bearing. I don’t think I’d want to drive that a distance mate, could make it a lot worse but you won’t really know until you start digging into it.

Nov 22, 2022
Is it from the bottom of the engine ? It sounds like big end bearings to me but could be far simpler, is exhaust all good, pulleys all good, it could be timing chain tensioner or camshaft bearing. I don’t think I’d want to drive that a distance mate, could make it a lot worse but you won’t really know until you start digging into it.

The sound is coming from the top of the engine

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Could be timing chain/belt whatever you have. The tensioning or rollers rather than the chain /belt itself.
I'd get that all changed before going far.
Have the codes gone away with the sensor changes?

Nov 22, 2022
Could be timing chain/belt whatever you have. The tensioning or rollers rather than the chain /belt itself.
I'd get that all changed before going far.
Have the codes gone away with the sensor changes?

I have chain.
Mechanic doesnt seem to know only tensioner can be changed he didnt even take a look at it just said i need new timing chain set by listening to the rattle.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
It is a distinctive sound. Obviously you don't want the chain to jump sprockets as that will lead to valve piston contact...which is bad

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise