1 litre TSi 110 DSG Xcellence

motormadmarc

Dec 24, 2020
Norfolk, Next To The Sea 🐟
Hi guys.

Later this year I'll be looking to buy a brand new Seat Ibiza, and the model that I'm thinking of buying Is the 1 litre TSi 110 Excellence DSG (auto gearbox) But I've never owned a car with an automatic gearbox before and I've heard that there are 2 different types of DSG, a dry and a wet (whatever that means)

So I was just wondering which version Is the best and less likely to be problematic, and which version SEAT actually use?

Or should I just stay with the good old fashioned manual gearbox?

Any opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks 👍

Last edited:

lordedmundo

Feb 23, 2021
I own a 2021 FR Sport 110 DSG. My understanding is that it is a dry gearbox, for which there are various pro's and cons in relation to the wet. Hopefully other forum members can give you more insight regarding the differences.

What I would say is that the DSG is great paired with the 1.0 TSI engine and that I love the car! I previously owned a 20 year old Ford Puma with a very slick manual gearbox. Very enjoyable to drive, but obviously unfair to compare with the SEAT, which as a new car is superior in every way.

The DSG is more expensive to buy (and I suspect to repair) and a manual gearbox may last longer, so maybe that is a consideration for you.

My suggestion is to test drive both, although in the end I didn't bother as I knew that I wanted an automatic. By the way - mine has paddle shifts, which are great to have, but I rarely use!

Whichever model you buy - I'm sure you won't regret!

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
The 1.0TSi engine is sold with the 7-speed dry clutch DSG.

I have that gearbox in a 2018 Leon FR 1.4TSi (150). Previous had a wet clutch 6-speed DSG IN 2012 Octavia vRS I owned for 6 years.

Both DSGs have been faultless.

Reported fault with early dry clutch DSGs were in countries with high temperatures (mainly India) & solve by changing the grade of oil used.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Hi guys.

Later this year I'll be looking to buy a brand new Seat Ibiza, and the model that I'm thinking of buying Is the 1 litre TSi 110 Excellence DSG (auto gearbox) But I've never owned a car with an automatic gearbox before and I've heard that there are 2 different types of DSG, a dry and a wet (whatever that means)

So I was just wondering which version Is the best and less likely to be problematic, and which version SEAT actually use?

Or should I just stay with the good old fashioned manual gearbox?

Any opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks 👍
Seat and VAG will use both wet and dry clutch DSG transmissions in their cars. Generally speaking, a wet clutch DSG transmission will be used in models producing high(er) levels of torque - e.g. performance models, and low(er) torque models will get a dry clutch DSG transmission.

After over 40 years of driving cars with manual transmission, I now have a VW with DSG
(Polo GTI+ with 6 speed wet clutch DSG). Being a ‘mature’ driver with a long standing back problem I find the DSG has distinct benefits, especially in stop-go traffic; no left foot clutch work to contend with.

Although IMHO the DSG is quite a clever piece of kit, at the end of the day it’s a computer controlled mechanical component so it doesn’t get things right 100% of the time as it can’t think and see and be ready to anticipate all road and traffic scenarios in the way a human driver can. Based on my experience, the DSG probably gets it right around 95% of the time, and there’s always the option to intervene manually (I use the steering wheel paddles in my car in those instances).

If you’ve never owned or driven a car with DSG before then I’d recommend taking an extended test drive to help you decide if it’s for you or not.

Would I go back to driving a manual? Yes, I’d always consider one, but anyone considering a new car in a few years time will have that choice taken away from them with EV’s and single speed transmissions.

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
Also depends on your car use, how many miles you do, and how long you keep your cars?
Also factor in the DSG gear box needs an oil change every 40k miles or 4 years at approx £250.

Personally I will keep mine covered by a warranty after the initial 3 years, as they are expensive to fix if they fail.

However the Seat 'All In' 2 years warranty, service and breakdown, is affordable at £32 a month.

As always get out and drive one, we can tell you all sorts of things, but get a test drive to make up your own mind.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
The 'all in' scheme is only available on cars more than 3 years old. New cars already have a 3 year warranty, but a service plan could save money.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members