12V Socket

Jan 5, 2020
Hi, I've hardwired a NextBase dash cam into my facelift Leon today by tapping into the 12v fuse, but I was wondering how long does the 12v socket take to turn off after switching off the car. When I start the car after a while, devices like my phone won't charge in the socket unless I turn the car on. After starting and turning off the car though, the 12v socket is still drawing power, so the dash cam stays on as well. I'm concerned I might drain the cars battery. I checked the other fuses using a multimeter as well such as the radio and they were still drawing power as standard after the car was turned on and then off and keys were taken out. Does anyone know how long the 12v socket stays live for after switching off and locking the car? All I did was use the hardwire kit to tap into the 12v fuse.

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
I have a Nextbase dashcam hardwired in to the same fuse. My camera turns off around 10 seconds after I have turned off the ignition. Have you checked the camera settings? In mine, you can change the amount of time the camera is powered for after turning off the ignition.

Reactions: FormulaR95

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Jan 5, 2020
I was about to say this, if the fuse is inline with the others it’s perm. If it’s offset it’s on/off with the ignition.

Yep, sorted! Had it in perma position. Can't believe it was such a simple adjustment. It would've been helpful if the owners manual gave you a diagram for the fuse boxes.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Yep, sorted! Had it in perma position. Can't believe it was such a simple adjustment. It would've been helpful if the owners manual gave you a diagram for the fuse boxes.

The owner’s manual lists each fuse position and what Amp fuse is fitted. And the fuse positions are stamped into the plastic fuse board where they are located...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.