2 years of ownership - time to say goodbye

CupraPoopra

Mar 15, 2021
Thought I'd drop a quick line for those that may be considering the Cupra fold to summarise my thoughts after just over 2 years worth of ownership.

I took delivery of my Urban Silver V2 DSG in May 2021 and I leave the fold with mixed feelings, so thought I'd summarise my final thoughts.

The Good

• I still love the interior and exterior styling and still pleased with my choice of silver with blue interior.
  • I still like the proportions of the car. We have 2 kids (8&5) and the size is ideal foe what we need. Room in the back for the kids, boot just the right size and isofix in front passenger sear are all a big plus
  • Performance is okay for the 1.5, albeit fuel economy average at best. I've averaged at 36-37mpg in my 22,000 miles. With the benefit of hindsight, I would go for the VZ2, were i to choose again
  • Car seems to have been good on tyre wear
The Bad
  • Sketchy build quality. Perhaps it was more me expecting more from my first VAG group car, but within first month I had a coolant hose fall off and rattling speaker, the latter never being fully rectified
  • Infotainment - without doubt the biggest achilles heel of the car and the reason I'm getting rid. Initially, the system wasn't too bad, occasional slow down but manageable. Its got progressively worse over my time in ownership and following the recent major software update following a recall it's the worst it's ever been. One bugbear was that it would throw up an "SOS" error, meaning if you stopped the engine for a short period, say filling with fuel, upon restarting the engine it completely locks you out of the infotainment. This was supposedly fixed in the recent update. I literally got 150 yards from the dealership before it reoccurred. 12 months ago this error was sporadic, now it's the vast majority of journeys.

As I say, bit of a mixed bag as I love the way the car looks. It was quite rare when I first got it. I see loads of them about, so hope Cupra continue to do well and improve as it's not put be off the brand entirely, as they aren't far away from it being a great car. I intended to keep the car for 3 years, but getting rid now just after 2. Had it not been for the infotainment, I'd have kept it for another year although it's not something I'd want to own out of warranty.

Where to next, well I want to get something sorted before the end of June and I'm currently considering a new Model Y RWD, a year old Model 3 performance, or a slightly older Audi Etron, although the latter has a pretty shoddy real world range in comparison. I also like the Kia EV6, but finance is pricey. Favouring the Model 3 performance, but still undecided. I'd never been keen on Tesla's until I test drove one a couple of weeks back, but the car appeared solid, the performance caught me off guard despite what you see/read and for me, being a personal car, the thought of saving circa £1800 a year in fuel is not to be sniffed at.

Enjoy your motors!

Cvpra

Mar 11, 2023
Hey good write up.

I had a Sportline Karoq which was similar in build quality to the Cupra.

Having had Audi, I would say it is a step up most definitely in build quality, but at a price.

I would check and look around re Tesla though as i have seen some unacceptable build even from brand new and upon collection - think it was on TikTok.

im still not taken on electric especially out of warranty if that is what you are considering.

Everyone has their likes / dislikes but the Cupra at its price point (1.5 petrols) are the best in that bracket. Sharp looks, modern, advanced technology (even though it’s a pain).

:)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members