2014 1.8 TSI Buying Advice

Sep 23, 2021
Nottinghamshire
Hi all,
New to the forum as I am looking for a seat leon fr estate, and hopefully have just found the one.

I am currently looking at a 2014 1.8 tsi with around 85k miles.
Is there anything I should be looking for in particular? Also can anyone advise on when the timing belt/chain should be replaced?

Been looking for a while now for a leon fr estate but the right one hasn't come along till now.

Thanks in advance

Raven

Mar 10, 2014
Hi
The 1.8 TSI is in essence the 2.0 TSI engine found in Cupra but with less stroke, smaller turbo and smaller injectors. Reliability would be the same for 1.8 TSI and 2.0 TSI.
There is no interval for change of Timing Chain.
Engine is more or less bullet proof.

Reactions: Mr Pig

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
The 1.8/2.0 has a chain?
The 1.8 EA888 engine in my previous VW Polo GTI was chain driven, so is the 2.0 EA888 in my current VW. AFAIK they are basically the same power plants used by Seat but with slightly different power outputs.

Reactions: Mr Pig

Deleted member 132246

Only had my Leon 2 months now but I would certainly check that the heating system is functioning correctly.
Also the drivers side switch for the passenger side window is a bit dodgy in mine so check that too.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Make sure both the AC and the heating works

also make sure to remove the silica bag from the expansion tank if it has one.

they have a habit of bursting (silica bag) and blocking up the heater matrix

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
Plus one for the heating system, check for full function, settings etc and any signs of leaks, or low level, pump can be a problem on all models. Also water ingress, check for damp carpets, rear seat cushion, spare wheel well. Headlamps too maybe, abnormal imperfections, any excessive condensation. Don't let any of these put you off though, they're a good car and the majority won't have any problems, you only hear about the broken ones! I still love mine after 4 years !

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
And, also check the fuel filler cap locks/unlocks properly with the central locking. It's a pita to get open if it fails in the locked position !!

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
And, also check the fuel filler cap locks/unlocks properly with the central locking. It's a pita to get open if it fails in the locked position !!
Had this happen on my wife’s a class, bloody nightmare 😂

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.