5,000 miles in a 23 plate VZ2 - thoughts

CosmicBlue

Enjoying retirement
Nov 25, 2023
Warwick, UK
Having collected my VZ2 back on the 31st of January this year and now I've racked up 5,000 miles on it its time to reflect on whether it was a good purchase or not.

I'll be straight and up front from the outset and say that back in January it was a case of 'head ruling heart' over the purchase decision, needed a compact SUV after 25 years of numerous Audi vehicles back to back - and I just didn't fancy any of the Audi range (have owned or driven most of them). Stumbled over a 31st May 2023 registered (ex VAG UK) Cupra Ateca VZ2 with a pano roof option, 7 months old with 1,463 miles and about £16k less than the OTR and was simply staggered over the amount of standard kit - roughly equivalent to a Vorsprung spec Audi Q3 with the exception of matrix headlights but gaining a memory drivers seat and a heated steering wheel neither of which aren't options on the Audi.

Given that the Ateca is just a raid on the VAG component stack the test drive revealed a competent and capable vehicle (not a surprise), probably more solid than the current F3 Q3, really liked the extensive use of proper switchgear too. After years of Bose/B&O audio upgrades I was perhaps concerned that the audio would fall short of my lofty expectations as the car I'd found didn't have the Beats option. So with the 'head' in charge I bought it. The first shock was the handover at the dealership, whereas when you buy an Audi you get a proper handover, demo of the cars functions and as a minimum one's mobile connected - at Listers in Coventry it was the keys, a handshake and goodbye. Cupra need to raise dealer standards as that is simply unacceptable in 2024.

An evening on the drive followed getting my head around the Ateca's systems (MIB3), especially the dash displays which are surprisingly granular after an Audi and delightfully sophisticated at the same time. Withing the 1st couple of days I'd had a 200 mile round trip the Heathrow - surprising economical on the motorway returning mid-30s mpg at legal motorway speeds. The car hadn't done many miles so drove it respectfully with mechanical sympathy and pondered that it actually didn't seem that quick, adequate but not as rapid as the spec numbers were suggesting.

In the subsequent 3 months and 3,000 miles later the engine has loosened up considerably and now the Ateca is properly rapid, I don't drive it hard either, averaging 32mpg (actual), I've grown to like it, easy to live with, the pano roof is fantastic - no buffeting all the way up to the legal limit. The Ateca handles well too, the MQB platform has always been good but with adaptive dampers set to 'Comfort' it is excellent - wonderfully neutral even pushed further than a compact SUV should be.

The really big surprise is the audio system, no sub in the boot and less drivers than the Beats derivative and its still very decent, 99% of he time I'm streaming Amazon Music HD via wireless Android Auto and it is stunningly good, detailed mid-range and reasonable but not too obtrusive bass.

The Cupra Ateca VZ2 is a fabulous vehicle, I don't feel I have compromised in any way at all so its a great ownership experience. The best bit of all about the Ateca is that it is an honest car - not trying to be something it clearly isn't and all the better for it. Recommended.