Acceleration issues

Mar 11, 2020
Has anyone experienced acceleration issues on their Ibiza 6J? I have four issues

The first is accelerating in second gear when I am rolling up to a roundabout, I press the accelerator and for half a second there is literally nothing there, then it seems to catch up and it pulls quite strong

The second is an intermittent high idle, normally it stays at 750 but every now and then (mainly when I am carrying passengers) the revs go up to 1100 when idle, I can actually solve this issue every time by hooking my foot under the throttle pedal and pulling up, this restores the revs back to the normal 750

The third issue is on first start in the summer and hot months it surges up the bank where I live, this only happens once on first start of the day, its fine in the winter and cold

The fourth issue is sometimes I have a more jerky ride than id like, this issue isn’t That much of an issue but not ideal

I have no engine warning lights on, any ideas?

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
which engine is it?

could you explain the 3rd issue better? what is the problem exactly? problems starting first time and then it starts fine on hot weather? If so, this is a known issue with 1.4 16V engine, and it is the N80 valve.

maybe you used to 8V or turbo engines which is more responsive at lower RPM than 16V

16V are more responsive at high RPM though, they are better for highway and worse for city driving, both in terms of responsiveness and fuel consumption.

Ive never had other cars but 1st and 2nd gears I find very responsive, after that not so much, but ultimately depends the rpm you going when you press the pedal. 1st and 2nd gears are a bit short though, need to switch to 3rd almost immediately

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.