Advice on engines to avoid from 2018 on (ATECA)

ads_uk

Apr 26, 2021
Leicester UK
Hi guys,
first post and current non seat or VW owner. Running BMW but looking for something my wife will drive as mine is a bit too racey.. Was looking at Ateca 1.5 TSI Excellence Lux model with all the toys and low miles but then a bit of googling lead me to the 'Kangaroo' stories about this engine when cold. Basically it's fitted to a lot of VW and Audi group cars and appears to be a bit of a turkey. There certainly seem to be a lot for sale and at lower price points than some other engines. Just wondered how bad the issue was with this unit and if there were alternatives which didn't have any glaring issues. I know it replaced a 1.4 TSI unit on the pre-18 plate cars which apparently was well liked but the trim level I'm seeking wasn't available widely with this engine. I don't want to go below 150PS from a power point of view so I guess I'm looking at a 2.0TSI or 2.0 diesel (150 or 190). Any advice or things to be aware of on these?

thanks all.
Ad.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Hi guys,
first post and current non seat or VW owner. Running BMW but looking for something my wife will drive as mine is a bit too racey.. Was looking at Ateca 1.5 TSI Excellence Lux model with all the toys and low miles but then a bit of googling lead me to the 'Kangaroo' stories about this engine when cold. Basically it's fitted to a lot of VW and Audi group cars and appears to be a bit of a turkey. There certainly seem to be a lot for sale and at lower price points than some other engines. Just wondered how bad the issue was with this unit and if there were alternatives which didn't have any glaring issues. I know it replaced a 1.4 TSI unit on the pre-18 plate cars which apparently was well liked but the trim level I'm seeking wasn't available widely with this engine. I don't want to go below 150PS from a power point of view so I guess I'm looking at a 2.0TSI or 2.0 diesel (150 or 190). Any advice or things to be aware of on these?

thanks all.
Ad.
The diesel engines are very good, if you are only covering small miles (mostly town) then I would go for the petrol. The 1.5 with auto does not have the kangarooing effect but don't discount the 1.0tsi motor as they are very good as well. A friend of mine is on his second Ateca with the 1.0 and he gets good mpg. The motor pulls well and when I had a go myself i was pleasantly surprised. The 1.0 engine feels a lot bigger than it states.

hertssjc

Jun 18, 2012
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire
Hi guys,

thanks all.
Ad.
Hi,
I have an Ateca Excellence 1.4 tsi DSG and read all the horror stories about the DSG box, but in all honesty I have not had any problems. I had driven my daughters golf with a DSG prior to buying my vehicle so kind of knew what to expect. My thoughts are that the gearbox will behave slightly differently depending what driving mode you have it in, i.e. when in ECO mode the throttle response isn't as responsive as you would imagine, drive (standard) is as you would imagine and sport is much more responsive. Plus they hold the gears longer in drive and sport. I would suggest speak to your dealer, tell him about your reservations and ask for an extended test drive. My dealer gave us the keys and basically said " see you when I see You". I went for the 1.4 as the fuel economy isn't as good on the 1.5 units. I bought a 68 plate with 10K miles on clock from SEAT main dealer in April. Good luck with your search.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.