Altea Reference Sport suspension question

Lewwy

L6 WWY
Feb 5, 2012
Bedworth, Warks
My Altea Reference Sport 1.9 TDI has Just failed its MOT on front spring (passenger side) being snapped at the bottom.

Can anyone tell me if the Reference Sport has different springs to the standard Reference model? (When searching up my car by its reg plate gives a Reference result - on log book as a Reference also, but is most definitely a Reference Sport).

Done some searches and seems to bring back the same part number at ECP for the spring for Reference and Reference Sport.

I was under the impression that the Reference Sport had different suspension?

Can anyone shed light on this for me please? Are the springs meant to be different or it is the shocks that are different?

Any help gratefully appreciated

Lewwy :)

drummer.gavin

Feb 11, 2009
Dublin
My Altea Reference Sport 1.9 TDI has Just failed its MOT on front spring (passenger side) being snapped at the bottom.

Can anyone tell me if the Reference Sport has different springs to the standard Reference model? (When searching up my car by its reg plate gives a Reference result - on log book as a Reference also, but is most definitely a Reference Sport).

Done some searches and seems to bring back the same part number at ECP for the spring for Reference and Reference Sport.

I was under the impression that the Reference Sport had different suspension?

Can anyone shed light on this for me please? Are the springs meant to be different or it is the shocks that are different?

Any help gratefully appreciated

Lewwy :)

Funny, I had just brought up a spring thing in another thread labeled "Altea FR".

I could be wrong but springs are done by tolerances and they are colour coded, look in over the front wheel and you will see dots of paint, this is the coding system adopted by VW. This is what determines what springs are in the car matched left and right. I'm sure certain springs are allocated to certain models due to differing vehicle weights.
I had to replace the two springs on my FR as Seat Ireland only had a matched pair in stock, they were a different code, felt softer then fitted and they actually made the car nicer to drive.

Google "vw spring codes" and you'll see what I mean, when I needed a spring replaced I rang in with the VIN and I was told the spring specs on individual cars are not stored on the system like everything else, they would have to have the colour code before they could see what was in stock.....

Best of luck!!

Lewwy

L6 WWY
Feb 5, 2012
Bedworth, Warks
Gavin,

Thanks for your feedback. I have had some help from David at Sere and I don't think the Reference Sport has sports springs on it, it seems as though they are a standard spring (same as Reference and Stylance).

I think the FR does seem like a speciality though, for interest I have done some research using a reg number from an FR for sale on AT and it seems parts listings seem to hit a brick wall when trying to search for FR suspension parts for some reason.

Lewwy

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.