Alternator pulley. Change belt tensioner as well?

Oneiros

Jul 22, 2013
Hi guys,
Been lurking for years and learned a lot, so thanks :clap:

My 55 plate LCR is at about 78k miles and recently developed a noise from the auxiliary belt area. At its worst the battery light was flashing and the noise was very loud, at the moment, at tickover it is a faint rattle. I've not been driving it as don't want to get stuck on the road with a dead battery.

After doing some reading I am almost certain it is the alternator pulley which I am confident enough to change as it looks easy enough to get to. I will change the belt as well.

If once the belt is off and the tensioner still looks healthy is it still best practice to change it anyway with the new belt? I was hoping to get away without doing it as it looks a little more fiddly.

Also, does anyone know the correct torque setting for the alternator pulley (and/or tensioner bolts)?

Many thanks.

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
If you can do it whilst your there then there is no reason not to.

It doesn't need to be done of its in good condition, but it'll be another job ticked off the list.

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I replaced my belt and tensioner yesterday, very simple. All you need is a 16mm spanner to release the tension, a 4.5mm drill bit to lock it off, and a 13mm socket / ratchet to remove the 3 retaining bolts.

It cost about £30 from ECP.