Best Roof Bars?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Thank you.

One important aspect is that they can lift off and on easily. With the last car I kept the three bike carriers bolted to the bars and lifted the whole rig on and off the car. Literally took a minute or two to put the bars and racks onto the car. I want to be able to do the same thing with the new bars.

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I've got the Atera SIGNO ASS and Giro AF+ bike rack, bought from the roofboxcompany, as above.

Can't recommend the product or service enough. Worth phoning them to discuss as I got a discount for buying a boot liner, bars and bike rack.

perkman1969

Feb 25, 2015
NE England
Have used roofbox company for all my roof carrying needs for a few years now and can only sing their praises. I've got whispbars which I've used on my last 4 cars (you only have to change the feet for a different car model -not always - at about £25 - 30 a time so although a bit more expensive when first buying, in the long run they've worked out really cost effective). They're also really quiet and apparently a lot more fuel efficient but I can't couch for that bit. I've used them both on roof rails and fitted directly to the car - both are easy to do.

Highlander

Mar 16, 2016
Have used roofbox company for all my roof carrying needs for a few years now and can only sing their praises. I've got whispbars which I've used on my last 4 cars (you only have to change the feet for a different car model -not always - at about £25 - 30 a time so although a bit more expensive when first buying, in the long run they've worked out really cost effective). They're also really quiet and apparently a lot more fuel efficient but I can't couch for that bit. I've used them both on roof rails and fitted directly to the car - both are easy to do.

I agree with everything. Roofbox.co.uk are a pleasure to deal with - they even express shipped a new footpack when I received the wrong set 3 days before going on holiday a few years back.

The Whispbars are the best looking and highest quality, IMO. Had them on previous Alfa 159, and just fitted a set to my newly acquired Leon FR 184 DSG. They look as good as it's possible to get.

When allowed, I'll post some pics, but my only query was with the footpack... does the rubber foot sit inside the gutter crease, or does it sit on top?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I bought the Farad bars and it just so happens that they arrived today. I haven't fitted them yet but when I do I'll post my thoughts.

They look well made and look like they cost more than they do.

ChrisG

Apr 22, 2002
Hants
I got the Atera aluminium bars for our Leon ST, again from Roofbox and very happy with product and service. Atera evidently make a lot of OEM roof bars for car manufacturers and to me they're as good as any Thule bar I've seen but significantly cheaper. They were rock solid with a roof box and 2 kids bikes on all the way to the Dordogne last year. They're also easy to fit once set up in position, they'll rest on the ST's roof rails without needing to clamp to anything and have a simple splined key to wind the clamp in so I'm pretty sure you could lift the whole lot on and off as one.

Edit: Just looked on Roofbox and it seems the Atera design (and price, up by ~£20) has changed since we bought ours just over a year ago so some of the above may not be accurate any more. I think at that price I'd be tempted by the Whispbars which are only ~£30 dearer now

A friend of mine just bought the cheaper Cruz Aero bars from Roofbox. They also seemed pretty good quality, the only thing I'd say is that the aluminium aero bar is very chunky, much wider in profile than my Atera bar to the point where he couldnt fit my old roof box that he was going to borrow this weekend as the roof box clamps weren't big enough to go round (and I don't have T bar fitment bolts for my roof box).

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.