Black grille surround

Mar 5, 2022
Yeovil
Hi
I'm trying to find a black grille surround for my mk3 5f leon but I'm having no luck can anyone help me please? or will I have to paint it I'm worried it will look tacky if I paint it rather than just buy it already done

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yoshi

Redahead74

Mar 25, 2022
Midlands
I plastidipped mine today. Easy to do. Second time of doing this as did an insignia previously

Attachments

• 20220329_143843.jpg
    20220329_143843.jpg
    680.5 KB · Views: 326
Reactions: Jase_0718
Mar 21, 2022
You can get the Cupra grill trim from Seat or parts websites, I’d imagine they might fit all 5F, you can ask them. But to fit you have to take off the front bumper.

Alternative as mentioned above is plastidip which does the job and is reversible, there’s a few guides about if you search for them.

Mar 5, 2022
Yeovil
I plastidipped mine today. Easy to do. Second time of doing this as did an insignia previously
I guess I will be doing the same then thank you. Did you do the badge as well? I like the look of your car. Have you done the lettering and the badge on the back aswel? I've done the mirror covers on my so far. Not got any pics of it yet

Redahead74

Mar 25, 2022
Midlands
I guess I will be doing the same then thank you. Did you do the badge as well? I like the look of your car. Have you done the lettering and the badge on the back aswel? I've done the mirror covers on my so far. Not got any pics of it yet

Did all badges and letters whilst on car

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
The black grill surround is not available from the dealer anymore, i enquired 2yrs ago and they quoted to have it painted on my mk3 cupra st.

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022

This looks incredible! How many coats did you use if you don't mind me asking? Are you experiencing any chipping away of the dip yet? I am really contemplating on doing it too but I'm so afraid of completely butchering it to where I ruin the car LOL

Redahead74

Mar 25, 2022
Midlands
This looks incredible! How many coats did you use if you don't mind me asking? Are you experiencing any chipping away of the dip yet? I am really contemplating on doing it too but I'm so afraid of completely butchering it to where I ruin the car LOL
I gave 5 coats on it and left to dry between each coat. Masked up on most parts apart from mirrors as took them off and fitted dynamic indicators.
No peel or chip marks so far but easy enough to touch up if needed.
This is second car I've done with plastidip but it's not difficult to do. Just take time masking it all up first and don't hold can too close or be tempted to spray lots on each time. 1st couple of sprays don't seem to do much but that's how it should be

Attachments

• 20220531_131112.jpg
    20220531_131112.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 195
Reactions: Azizo

Azizo

Jun 21, 2022
I gave 5 coats on it and left to dry between each coat. Masked up on most parts apart from mirrors as took them off and fitted dynamic indicators.
No peel or chip marks so far but easy enough to touch up if needed.
This is second car I've done with plastidip but it's not difficult to do. Just take time masking it all up first and don't hold can too close or be tempted to spray lots on each time. 1st couple of sprays don't seem to do much but that's how it should be

Thank you so much for the swift and detailed response! I believe that a lot of people (including myself probably lol) would have the tendency to just rush the process which is why the majority of images I've seen either look botched or just tacky. I feel like there's a lot of misinformation on YouTube as well in regards to the overall after-care, or just the process of applying 1 thin coat first and then gradually going up and up

A colleague almost talked me out of it but if done properly like with your vehicle it honestly looks incredible so I'll order a can or two and get spraying soon I reckon! For what I want to achieve it honestly seems like the best bang for your buck. I was quoted 120 euros for a simple chrome delete, and that was just for the actual chrome bit around the grille, not even the badge. Whereas a can of Plasti-dip would set me back around 35 euros or so which would allow me to do all of the areas I am after and probably even more

Wilto

Mar 5, 2021
South Wales
Done mine exactly the same, with plasticoat, take plenty of time masking up and as said lots of light coats. I lost count of how many I done as I was alternating between front grill and rear boot badge 😂
IMG_20220829_140209~3.jpg
I've since added blue coloured S decals to the badges.
IMG_20220829_140232~3.jpg

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise