Bluetooth connection problems with iPhone 3GS

Redwards

There doesn't seem to be a pattern, sometimes it will reconnect straight away other times I need to reconnect using the handset. This morning it disconnected as a call rang in and wouldn't reconnect for 5 or so minutes.

Don't let this it put you off the 3GS, it's a fantastic phone! P.s I don't work for Apple, sadly!!

Glovepup said:
I got a call to say they had fixed the aircon and my bluetooth has been updated.

Apparently the update sorts out disconnection issues, allows the system to speak french and one other thing was fixed but could not remember what. That was easier than I thought it would be! I did not expect them to just update it.

That is what I was hoping for... but instead I got the same response as mds1256:

mds1256 said:
dealer plugged in the machine to find the latest file already on my car and the car is an april 2008 fr tdi. so the latest update is actually about 2 years old now and no other update has been produced.

The chap in service dept (at Willoughby Seat, Nottingham) said they hadn't had any Bluetooth updates for ages after a few initials ones were released to address issues with early cars. Unless there are several variants of the SEAT_UHV system which have differing patch levels etc, then either Glovepup's dealer or mine (and msd1256's!) are mistaken.

Trouble is, how do you convince them to take a second look or persuade them to explain why another dealer has found a much more recent update available?

If I had the time and energy, I'd take my car to another dealer. Do you think they might look up an update on their system if I phoned them with my reg/chassis number?

I have spoken to Seat UK Customer Service and they basically told me to talk to my local dealer to get any updates that might or might not be available... so no help there. It's getting a tad frustrating chasing a solution, so I've been trying to live with the disconnections.

How often does the 3gs disconnect?

Mine disconnects a few times per week. I generally drive in total about 2hrs per day.

Sometimes, days can pass without a single disconnect. Other times, the phone will disconnect twice on the same journey. Sometimes, the phone will reconnect about 20 seconds later, without me touching anything. However most of the time, I'll have to go into Settings > General > Bluetooth and tap 'SEAT_UHV' for it to reconnect. Bit of a faff and not really safe to do without stopping, despite me using a decent holder for the phone (I have a Brodit Pro-Clip on the A-pillar with the iPhone 3G/S fitted holder). :cry:

I have a hunch that if the phone is already 'asleep' when it connects (i.e. I haven't touched my phone - which is in sleep mode - for about 10 mins before I get in the car), then it's less likely to disconnect. If I use the phone just before I get into the car and put it into standby, it's more likely to disconnect around 5 mins later... which seems to back up the theory that it's related to sleep/standby somehow.

My personal experience is that v3.0, v3.0.1 and v3.1.2 of the iPhone software haven't made a sniff of difference to this issue (I never installed v3.1 until it was already superceded). :shrug:

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
i plugged VAG-COM in to it and looked at the telephone module to see what version it was at and it is already at 0110 as stated at post 53.

So which leads me to believe that it is actually already uptodate and no other update is available

aaberg

I used to have an Iphone 3Gwith OS 3.1.3 that worked fine on my Freetrack 2008. Two months ago I bougth a 3GS also with OS 3.1.3 and got stuck with the same problems as you guys. Paring to my car just for unpair after about 15 sec and try to pair again. I have not checked if unlock on Iphone screen have any effect.

I have used a lot of time to try to find out any solution - and the only solution so far I got from Seat in Sweden is to downgrade my 3GS to OS 3.1.2 that will work (3G work with 3.1.3). The bad news is since my phone is bougth with 3.1.3 it's impossible to downgrade to 3.1.2. To do so you need to have 3.1.2 from start or have llet Cydia stored your SHSH blobs before upgrade. If not you seems to be lost until Seat update the bluetooth system on your car.

I have tried following without success: :cry:
1. Upgrade to Iphone OS 4.0.1. Makes no differ.
2. Install Cydia and third parts bluetooth software in the phone, like iBlueNova. Works to connect Iphone to other phones but not to Seats bluetooth.
3. Connect the car with original 3.1.3. Worked on my 3G but not 3GS.
4. Connect the iphone bluetooth to Apple originals devices (computer and headset). Shows that the phone works ok.
5. Talked to Apple and Seat support. Apple support claim Seat for not have updated their bluetooth version on Seat cars (seems to be many car brands that have the same problem). Apple only take responsibility for the own products.

Hope anyone have other solutions to this issue!

Last edited by a moderator:

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
For info the iPhone 4 still does it, not quite as often but still does it running 4.0, 4.0.1 and 4.1 beta (have this as I'm a registered iPhone developer)

K1Ringsell

i had no problems with my iphone 3G but my iphone 4 disconnects!

sialdo

Jun 9, 2010
Chester
My iPhone 4 disconnects after about 20 minutes and then I have to reconnect manually. Not sure if it still does this since 4.0.1, will have to try.

My 3G didn't disconnect, although I didn't use it as much.

aaberg

UPDATE: Here is update to my iPhone/Seat issue posted last week. I have now tried friends 4 iphones (3GS and 3G w OS 4.0/4.01) on my Seat, all works fine - except for just mine that keeps unpairing every 15 seconds. I taked to Apples support and they think to unpair my iphone in the car bluetooth can solve my problem. BUT how do i unpair my iPhone in the car bluetooth? Can this be done thru the car menu in the display or what?

aaberg

Yes, done that. But I think I need to clear the bluetooth memory in the car as well.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise