Both Brake lights not working

Jul 3, 2020
Hello All,

MK1 TDi both brake lights not working so changed fuse, changed switch and changed bulbs. Still not working but in the light bulb enclosure the reversing lights work so power is getting to the cluster. Anybody got any ideas?

Also has anybody ever changed the bulbs in the light at the top of the rear lid window, is there a guide?

TIA

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Id pull the switch out and operate it by hand and get someone to watch at the back. See what happens.

If memory serves, the high level brake light is led's and unserviceable.
Cost a bloody fortune new from TPS!
Have to take the spoiler off.

Rich

Jul 3, 2020
Id pull the switch out and operate it by hand and get someone to watch at the back. See what happens.

If memory serves, the high level brake light is led's and unserviceable.
Cost a bloody fortune new from TPS!
Have to take the spoiler off.

Rich

The switch is deactivated when not in slot, you have to twist and get a click the click depresses a bit of plastic in the switch to make it active.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Theres one on top of the clutch pedal i think. Maybe they run in series (Christmas tree lights)?
Was it a new switch you fitted?

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Yeh, i did mine on Monday. You dont get a lot of room.
Maybe if youve got a test light, operate the switch and check the wires to see if its 'switching'.
To be honest I can't think what else itd be.

Rhys506

Jun 20, 2020
Essex
Yes, I was thinking this, seeing as they are 13 quid I will but another one and see if that helps.
Grab a second person and a multimeter and see if power is reaching the brake lamps, if not maybe there's a broken wire, if there is check your earth point as it may need cleaning up or again has a wire broken there.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.