Brake Assist Slamming On

monkeynuts

TIME FOR BED SAID "Z"
Oct 2, 2003
Area 51
Visit site
Couple of days ago while manouvering in a smallish parking spot shunting back and forth with the radar detect bleeping away I moved forward and there was a mighty crash as though I had hit something Big red sign on dash brakes jammed on .

Got out and looked nothing Now this was so aggresive and scary

This Cupra version is doing my head in :mad: Too many distracting so called Nanny aids is spoiling the car to the point of getting boring

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Couple of days ago while manouvering in a smallish parking spot shunting back and forth with the radar detect bleeping away I moved forward and there was a mighty crash as though I had hit something Big red sign on dash brakes jammed on .

This Cupra version is doing my head in :mad: Too many distracting so called Nanny aids is spoiling the car to the point of getting boring
Yep, they do that! My Formentor has done it a few of times. The first time when negotiating a narrow drive entrance. I thought I'd hit something but no. Very frightening the first time.

Now I know about it, it really doesn't bother me. I can't remember the last time it happened tbh. Don't know if it's the way I drive it now or if recent system updates have made it less sensitive.

MR T

Jul 10, 2004
BOONDOCKS
Mine has done it twice once reversing onto the drive when it was close to some long grass and once pulling out of a parking space with nothing around me.

Richiepoos

Oct 14, 2022
My Octavia has the same thing and almost broke my neck when I tried to park near a fence with a bush protruding through. Almost needed new underpants!

• Haha
Reactions: monkeynuts and KoNG

ruidebraga

May 31, 2023
Hello, I see the thing in another way..
The other day I was pulling out of the parking lot at my gym, and there was a pillar behind me that I didn't see.
Suddenly, the car braked hard and the red brake assist light on the instrument panel came on.
I didn't realize what had happened, and that's when I saw the pillar.
I almost cried because I thought I had hit my Leon on the pillar.
When I got out of the car I saw that there was nothing, I almost kissed the car because it had stopped in time...
:)

Reactions: KoNG

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
It's good that your car remained undamaged, no one wants that.
But we should all be able to park or unpark without hitting stuff.
My view is that stuff like this on cars will make drivers lazy and reliant on aids.
Look at the aids, changing lanes, staying in lanes, not hitting stationary objects...
If you can't do those 3 things, what are you doing driving?

It feels like the cars are supplied with beta software and you are all testing it.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
It's good that your car remained undamaged, no one wants that.
But we should all be able to park or unpark without hitting stuff.
My view is that stuff like this on cars will make drivers lazy and reliant on aids.
Look at the aids, changing lanes, staying in lanes, not hitting stationary objects...
If you can't do those 3 things, what are you doing driving?

It feels like the cars are supplied with beta software and you are all testing it.

Agree; most of the cars I’ve owned in my 45+ years of driving have had no such driving aids - I‘ve relied on ability, observation, and the use of mirrors and signals to carry out parking manoeuvres, changing lanes / staying in lanes.

Off-topic but on the subject of reliance on various aids in modern cars - from what I read on some forums, there’s complete reliance by some owners on the in-car warning systems for fluid levels and tyre pressures too. Maybe I’m old school but I still check the under-bonnet fluid levels and tyre pressures manually on a regular basis and top up if necessary; I like to be proactive rather than reactive and know in advance if something needs topping up, rather than relying on a warning lamp on the instrumentation display to tell me. 🤔

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Back in the day, fluids and tyres were daily checks at work.
Weekly would be more normal. I still do physical checks so that there's enough of all the stuff my car needs when I want to use it.
No light doesn't mean there's oil in your engine it means there's no light. Only by looking can you know.
Depending on how much you care, how lazy you are or how trusting you are that the car will report the actual situation will depend of when or if you do physical checks

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Also, Seat deletes sensors to save a few pence - you think there is a low brake fluid warning, as the old model has one, but it turns out they blew the budget on a fancy screen so had to remove it and all the buttons in the cabin as well...

I've had the parking brake assist horrify me too, I hit an imaginary wall when it just was a week old while reversing into a parking space. I got out cursing as didn't see anything before starting in and was totally gobsmacked to find I'd hit absolutely nothing at all.

Reactions: monkeynuts

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I didn't know I had an automatic handbrake until one time it would roll back when I wanted it too.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom

Yep, I’ve had that a few times as well. It loves picking up plants as solid objects and will jam on the brakes instead of just beeping at you there may be something nearby. Feels like you’ve hit a brick wall.

Yern

Apr 25, 2019
This has happened to me a couple of times on this and my previous MK3.5 FR. I think the 'cut off' speed is 3mph so I reverse into the drive a little more slowly :LOL: . It does give you a bit of a shock when it slams on!

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
You can just turn it off. It's called manoeuvre braking.

Don't go crying on here if you ding an unseen post though!
Didn't notice there was an option to turn it off - another menu item hidden away due to the poorly designed UI. Thanks for mentioning it !!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.