Carbon Key Cover, Anyone Know Where to Get One?

the_lorne_ranger

Nov 20, 2023
Aberdeen, Scotland
When I got my Cupra, one of the keys has a carbon fibre effect cover on it. However, one of the lugs that hold it onto the key has broken, and it no longer snaps into place. I've tried gluing the broken lug into place, but it's just too small to get any pressure on to get it to stick.

Anyone know where to get a replacement for these? I've searched online but these only show 3rd party cover that cover the entire fob, I've also searched the part number on the back of the cover, but these just show the seat leather one.

1705411992018.png

1705412028158.png

Cvpra

Mar 11, 2023
IMHO it’s not worth it - it’s not really a cover being just one sided and the bracelet thing will never be worn and if it were, well that’s another topic completely 😂

the_lorne_ranger

Nov 20, 2023
Aberdeen, Scotland
IMHO it’s not worth it - it’s not really a cover being just one sided and the bracelet thing will never be worn and if it were, well that’s another topic completely 😂
No I wouldn't buy that pack, I think they gave them out for free as a new owner delivery gift.

It is a cover though, as without it the battery and innards of the key are exposed.

Can't even seem to find the regular Cupra cover plate, only the seat leather one.

the_lorne_ranger

Nov 20, 2023
Aberdeen, Scotland
Maybe here, best I could find without paying a small fortune:

Cheers, this will be a last resort if I can't find one anywhere else. I noticed in the pictures they don't show you the outside of the back cover.

It doesn't actually have to be the carbon effect one, even a regular Cupra one would do, but can't seem to find them anywhere.

Going to drop by the dealer at some point and see if they can help.

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
If your key came with the carbon effect cover already on it, and you bought the car new then someone at the dealer has swapped the standard cover for the carbon one (I had to swap mine myself). I imagine there's a drawer (or bin) full of removed standard covers at the dealer!

the_lorne_ranger

Nov 20, 2023
Aberdeen, Scotland
If your key came with the carbon effect cover already on it, and you bought the car new then someone at the dealer has swapped the standard cover for the carbon one (I had to swap mine myself). I imagine there's a drawer (or bin) full of removed standard covers at the dealer!
No didn't buy it new, 2021 car, 7k miles bought in Nov 23 from a non Cupra dealer.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
No luck at the dealer, only Skoda covers in their bin, and searching part number revealed Seat leather one. Dealer suggestion........Entire new key
If you can’t get a replacement Cupra key fob cover, couldn’t you get the standard Skoda (or VW / Seat) key fob cover, remove the small round badge from the cover and then buy a Cupra logo badge to replace it?

Round Cupra key fob badges are available on eBay (see below) - you’d just need to check any replacement badge is the correct size for the new style key fob. Admittedly, you’ll no longer have a carbon fibre key fob, but at least it’ll be a Cupra branded one.

the_lorne_ranger

Nov 20, 2023
Aberdeen, Scotland
If you can’t get a replacement Cupra key fob cover, couldn’t you get the standard Skoda (or VW / Seat) key fob cover, remove the small round badge from the cover and then buy a Cupra logo badge to replace it?

Round Cupra key fob badges are available on eBay (see below) - you’d just need to check any replacement badge is the correct size for the new style key fob. Admittedly, you’ll no longer have a carbon fibre key fob, but at least it’ll be a Cupra branded one.

Cheers, might try that! Maybe even the Cupra badge comes off the carbon cover.

Odd that such a part with breakables doesn't have a replacement!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Not specifically Cupra, but IMHO the current design of the glossy piano black key fob being used by most (all?) VAG brands seems to be (another) example of cost cutting and form over function by VAG.

I‘ve read of instances on other VAG (mainly VW) forums of the removable key blade with the integral loop to attach it to a key ring parting company with the key fob, resulting in the key fob getting lost, leaving just the key blade dangling from the owner’s key ring. I’ve also read of instances of the fob casing being difficult to refit when changing batteries (maybe down to ‘operator error’ rather than poor design?), and as has happened to @the_lorne_ranger’s key fob, cover fixing lugs braking off. I also wonder who thought glossy piano black was a good choice of finish for a key fob? Gloss piano black plastic is easily scratched (almost by just handling it), especially if the key fob‘s kept on a key ring with other keys or in a bag / pocket with small change. Very poor choice of material for a key fob IMHO. At least the carbon fibre effect Cupra casing should be less prone to scratching.

In nearly 22 years ownership of VW’s, I’ve never had an issue with the previous ‘old style’ key fob - either with parts failing / breaking or with the cover getting scratched.

VAG; if it ain‘t broke, don’t try to fix it!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise