Change Car Battery Toldeo MK11 2001 TDI

Nazlfc

Sep 28, 2009
Hi All,

I was wondering if some one could provide me some advice and guidance on changing the Car Battery on my Toldeo MK11 2001 TDI. As the cold snap has come in my battery has required 2 jump starts to get it going. Additionally, I've had the car for 3 and half years now and have not changed the battery so I think was about due and ordered on yesterday.

There appears to be a plastic bracket that is mounting the battery and holding it in place as well as an additional bracket (metal) at the foot of the battery. How straightforward is this to remove, replace the battery and put back as before?

Might sound daft to some but on my previous cars (Nissans) I've just had two rods either side with a metal plate on top of the battery to keep in place.

I've checked the dimensions before I ordered and ordered the right size so hopefully no issues there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
The battery is clamped in place at the bottom by the metal bracket. The fusebox on top of the battery should be hinged and just fold back out of the way. You will need to detach the section of the headlamp cover held on by two screws to get at the fixing bolt with a socket and long extension bar.

Disconnect the negative pole first (connected to the earth strap) then positive. The positive terminal should be connected to the battery-top fuseholder by a short thick cable and disconnecting it from the battery terminal should free the fuseholder to hinge backwards out of the way. Remove the clamp plate and lift out the battery. Many come with handles fitted these days. Be careful when lifting it, don't do your back in.

Battery for the TDI's should have a 70Ah capacity and 340A cold cranking current - at least that's the spec that is fitted at the factory.

Make sure you know what the anti-theft code for the radio is, because once you disconnect the battery the radio will think it's been stolen.

Last edited:

Nazlfc

Sep 28, 2009
Thanks so muttley. Managed to also catch a few clips on you tube on a vw jetta which is the same setup. As I did not have a socket wrench with 13mm socket to remove the bottom clap I took to my mechanic to help remove. It does look quite straight forward will bear that in mind next time. I didn't want to break the top bracket beneath the fuse box but its sorted now.

Thanks again

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise