Changing the dampers to suit lowering springs

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
Hi everyone
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=3900903

I'm changing the shock absorbers on my leon, I think my ones have seen better days and I'm already lowered on them.

Would these work better with my sportlines? or will I be facing the same issue I had with the orginals in that the dampers are always compressed due to the lowered ride height?

Also how hard is it to do yourself? I already have a spring compressor, other than that is it just a matter of swapping the parts?

Thanks in advance

Cuprarob112

Dec 6, 2008
Bilstein B4 and B6 are rubbish. If you want quality for a decent price, Koni yellow would be a good option (Red= oem springs, yellow for lowered springs)

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
Bilstein B4 and B6 are rubbish. If you want quality for a decent price, Koni yellow would be a good option (Red= oem springs, yellow for lowered springs)

They work out at £446.76 from europeperformance.com, similar in price to the eibach pro dampers, how the the koni compare to these?

Also the H&R kit with dampers and springs isnt much more either, I'm tempted to save for coilovers but is it really worth it if your not ever going to adjust ride height or do track days??

Decisions decisions lol

Poverty

They work out at £446.76 from europeperformance.com, similar in price to the eibach pro dampers, how the the koni compare to these?

Also the H&R kit with dampers and springs isnt much more either, I'm tempted to save for coilovers but is it really worth it if your not ever going to adjust ride height or do track days??

Decisions decisions lol

should get a decent set of coilovers for 600.

Even V3 coilovers arent really designed for track days, I was talkin to the kw engineers and they told me v3's are just for occasional track use.

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
should get a decent set of coilovers for 600.

Even V3 coilovers arent really designed for track days, I was talkin to the kw engineers and they told me v3's are just for occasional track use.

Are coilovers really worth it though? For less than 600 I could get uprated dampers, I just dont see me making use of the features offered by coilovers as I never do trackdays and I only have a 1.9 at 140bhp. I plan on selling it in the next year or 2 and moving up to a cupra/R32, so its not worth putting all the money into it in that sense

Last edited:

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
are uprated dampers worth nearly 600 though? Why not get cupra shocks?

tbh I dont think they are

It's mainly the lowering aspect I'm worried about, would cupra shocks take lowering better? My standard shocks are nearly worn out due to the extra pressure that comes with lowering. So I just want a good solid suspensuion set up that will be happy with my sportlines in

Would they fit a 1.9?

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
I know there are two different diameter front shocks on the mk2 leons, 50 or 55mm IIRC, I'm guessing the hub assembly is different to accommodate the specific diameter of the shock, so possibly cupra shocks won't fit - maybe someone else can confirm this?

I reckon the H&R or KW spring and damper kit would be a good option and then sell the sportlines (hopefully we'll get a parts for sale section here again soon). My opinion is that adjustable coilovers are more for achieving ultimate stance rather than trackdays as such.

Last edited:

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
I've always been happy with the stance and sportlines, so I really want to hold onto them. Coilovers would be nice though, could fine sue the stance to look as aggressive as possible. It just comes down to price really, as I dont want to sink loads of money into it, but I do need to replace the shocks currently which is going to be around 380 for oe one anyway(I think), so wouldnt mind going for the eibach pro dampers or a h&r kit.

Would cupra shocks not face the same issue of increased strain on the dampers still though?

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.