Cleaning/sealing products for painted alloys?

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
Hello chaps and chapesses,

Basically I had my LCR standard alloys refurbed around 5 years ago 'hyper bright silver'. They were Range Rover spec colour and obviously chuffed with the colour.

However within 2 years the brake dust from my DS2500's were seemingly too overpowering for the lacquer on the wheel. So the last couple years it has got worse. The wheels just need powder coating as no kerbing is visable. However I need advice with cleaning products for 2 ideas I have with the wheels. Originally normal car washing materials were recommended but they dulled that paint down quick as fook. I need cleaners that are proven, yet safe for painted/polished surfaces.

1. Going for a partial/ full polished LCR wheel....cleaning and sealant products.

2. My old hyper bright silver look...
Cleaning and sealant products.?

I must add, I used billberry cleaner and poorboy's sealant at first (but then never used it again). Wheels need doing shortly and I need them to remain intact.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be working....

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2008
birmingham
I used to use this on my polished wheels on my old lcd
5ad91b28-7a76-d809.jpg

5ad91b28-7de3-da71.jpg

I carnt rate the stuff enough and it was the only product that wouldnt stain the wheel . I takes time and elbow work but the wheels shine after its done . I never used a sealer as i couldnt find a good one that never stained . I did they once every 2 weeks . Just dnt use chemicals on polished wheels cuz it will stain like hell . Hope this helps m8

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Hello chaps and chapesses,

Basically I had my LCR standard alloys refurbed around 5 years ago 'hyper bright silver'. They were Range Rover spec colour and obviously chuffed with the colour.

However within 2 years the brake dust from my DS2500's were seemingly too overpowering for the lacquer on the wheel. So the last couple years it has got worse. The wheels just need powder coating as no kerbing is visable. However I need advice with cleaning products for 2 ideas I have with the wheels. Originally normal car washing materials were recommended but they dulled that paint down quick as fook. I need cleaners that are proven, yet safe for painted/polished surfaces.

1. Going for a partial/ full polished LCR wheel....cleaning and sealant products.

2. My old hyper bright silver look...
Cleaning and sealant products.?

I must add, I used billberry cleaner and poorboy's sealant at first (but then never used it again). Wheels need doing shortly and I need them to remain intact.

What do you mean overwhelming the lacquer? Has it cracked?

You probably need to use a product like Iron X to give the wheels a deep clean and remove the iron deposits and brake dust from the wheels. You will find them that a light polish like Autoglym SRP will bring back the shine. You can even use something like Lime Prime.

Them reseal them with poorboys sealant.

Deleted member 77040

Hmmm nothing really I used it twice then forgot. Just need reassurance it's good and fit for purpose?

I can be the man to reassure you that it is amazing stuff :D

Deleted member 77040

I used to use this on my polished wheels on my old lcd
5ad91b28-7a76-d809.jpg

5ad91b28-7de3-da71.jpg

I carnt rate the stuff enough and it was the only product that wouldnt stain the wheel . I takes time and elbow work but the wheels shine after its done . I never used a sealer as i couldnt find a good one that never stained . I did they once every 2 weeks . Just dnt use chemicals on polished wheels cuz it will stain like hell . Hope this helps m8

They are looking mint mate! Im in the process of tryin to find some Audi TT Competition Alloys and im gonna get them polished I think they should work well with the black paint, When I eventually find some im gonna have to have a go with this stuff as Ive only ever used it on my exhaust

Nov 1, 2008
birmingham
Cheers Dawesy90

Yea it was a cheap alternative really, it cost £120 for all four wheels and they take all the kurbing out and high gloss polish them . I went to a local metal polisher to me , any polishing and fabrication place should do them really i would have thought .

I carnt rate the product enough u only need the tinyies bit on a rag and scrub hard and they come up mint . U can c ur face in them :)

Deleted member 77040

Just tried gtechniq c5 one word amazing! It's abit pricey like 22quid for a pot that will last just the one set of wheels but you get what you pay for

lawrieIbizaMk4

Team Boc!
Aug 31, 2009
Milngavie, Glasgow
www.bebo.com
Just tried gtechniq c5 one word amazing! It's abit pricey like 22quid for a pot that will last just the one set of wheels but you get what you pay for

C5 should last a few applications, you're supposed to use it very sparingly, I've got 2 full treatments out of mine on 17" cupra alloys and still got 3 quarters of the bottle left.

But yes it is extremely good stuff :) nanolex paint & wheel sealant is also very effective!

Deleted member 77040

I got 2 cars worth out of mine not the 1 but u live n learn

Bristle Hound

Aug 21, 2017
North East Uk
For a wheel sealent I would recommend Planet Polish Wheel Seal & Shine
I have used a fair few over time & keep coming back to this one

Great VFM at £8.99 (my first bottle lasted 3 years !)

3 coats 20 mins apart will gives me around 6 months durability thro' the winter

(Can't put a link up as haven't got 15 posts, yet ;))