Coolant low and no heating on drivers side

Sep 30, 2023
Ayup everyone, thank you for taking your time to read my post.
Now I have read multiple posts about the issues but I just want to make sure that what I am going to do is the correct thing. I have a Leon FR 2TDI 14 plate.

So months ago I had the low coolant symbol (red) come up on my dash. Topped it up with the right mixture of coolant and carried on as normal. Days later, the symbol came up again and from this time on I noticed that I lost heating in my cabin, just on the drivers side.The passengers heating is fine.

Since this the low coolant symbol came up I just top up the coolant with normal water, no mixture of coolant. I have taken my car to the garage and they can't find any leaks either. The coolant thing has been ongoing for some time now and now I've noticed that sometimes the engine temp or coolant temp (the dial under the rev counter) has been going above 90oc. Sometimes as close as 110oc. When this happens I turn the blowers on high to try and get any excess heat out from and away from the engine.

From what I have read online I believe I may have a blocked heater matrix with these beeds from the expansion tank and this is causing the lack of heating in my car (drivers side) and also why I am needing to top up coolant as well. It is worth mentioning, no leaking of coolant in the car on the passenger footwell either.

If I do indeed have a blocked heater matrix... perfect I feel good to change it myself. Question I've got off the back of it is, do I need to do a flush out the current coolant in the system to try and remove as much of these beeds before changing the heater matrix?

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Sounds like the classic heater matrix symptoms.
You have posted in the 'guide' section and not the main Leon Mk3 forum - so you may get more advice moving your question there.

Yes - you should flush your cooling system before changing the heater matrix.
I also found my pressure relieve cap was weak - so might be advisable to change that - not expensive, or at least test it - to see what pressure it vents - block up ports on the header tank and use a bicycle pump with gauge and compare to the cap rating.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise