Cupra driving modes and MANUAL gearbox ?

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
I feel stupid even asking this, believe me I thought about it before posting. I'm looking for any comments from pfl Cupra 290 owners with manual gearbox who have tried the 'eco' setting for a while. I'll try and be brief, so, few months ago I fitted the oem short shifter linkage from the Audi TT along with solid 034 cable end bushings and after properly aligning the linkage etc I was very pleased with the results and improvement in gearchange feel, particularly the ease of selecting 1st/reverse when stationary. However, few days ago I put the car into 'eco' engine setting in the drive mode menu (never used it before) and then soon after started noticing that it was becoming really difficult to get it into 1st or reverse gear again from neutral at lights etc, so much so that I was thinking 'there goes Saturday morning resetting the damn gearbox linkage again'. Popped it back into Cupra mode today though just to see and gear change is back how it was, difference is night and day and I have my saturday back. Has anyone else tried 'eco' setting for a period before on an MT, I know, why would you on a cupra until now? Weather conditions and temp are pretty much the same between changes and I can't see how there can be any link on a manual other than just coincidence but interested in any opinions any ones got either way? Thanks.

R.Bot

Oct 30, 2019
I know it doesn't do anything on a manual, so just an irritating coincidence. I just wondered if any other MT cupra owners are running around on eco setting at the moment, given the situation and had any comments ? In my case it certainly was eco setting, gear change was getting so bad I didn't want to drive it at all !!!!. Then it's magically back to normal, very strange.

kimimaru

Feb 15, 2010
West midlands
i had same issue, new clutch kit and pedal , my car is standard no remaps nothing wiped on system.
290 pre here,
driving modes affects the car completely, from steering to brake and engine.
it affects the pump and affects the pedals also, in eco the engine response is very slow, like tdi.
Been on comfort and eco for months since vpower went to £1.70
in eco mode the ecu adapts to your driving, its a totally different car.
i normally use comfort or eco, because roads are bad and you feel all vibrations in cupra mode.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.