Cupra Shock Absorber Replacement

Astrix92

Aug 30, 2018
Hi guys.
My Cupra 290 (2016) has a busted front shock. The dealership is quoting £460 to replace just the busted one! I will be wanting to obviously change both fronts but I was wondering if anyone here has had to change them yet and what prices they have been paying?

I have taken a look at the part number and it appears to be a monroe shock (5Q0413031FM) which don't seem to be easy to get online. Maybe they are just a dealership item?

TIA

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I've got two waiting to go on mine. Because of the daft VW design, I've decided the simplest way of doing it would be to remove the caliper and disc and then disconnect the drop link, remove the tie rod end, remove the three nuts under the LCA and under the cowl at the top and then remove the shock, spring and knuckle as one assembly. Then it's just a case of spreading and tranferring the knuckle to the new shock, fitting the spring and top bearing and mounting it all back on the car.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hi guys.
My Cupra 290 (2016) has a busted front shock. The dealership is quoting £460 to replace just the busted one! I will be wanting to obviously change both fronts but I was wondering if anyone here has had to change them yet and what prices they have been paying?

I have taken a look at the part number and it appears to be a monroe shock (5Q0413031FM) which don't seem to be easy to get online. Maybe they are just a dealership item?

TIA
So you have DCC.
That is why they are expensive i'm afraid.
OE damper listed at around £300 for the part only.
Bilstein seem to be the only ones with an equivalent to this PN=23-238978 but it's not really much cheaper than the OE price.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I've got two waiting to go on mine. Because of the daft VW design, I've decided the simplest way of doing it would be to remove the caliper and disc and then disconnect the drop link, remove the tie rod end, remove the three nuts under the LCA and under the cowl at the top and then remove the shock, spring and knuckle as one assembly. Then it's just a case of spreading and tranferring the knuckle to the new shock, fitting the spring and top bearing and mounting it all back on the car.
Just FYI; When I 'tried' the remove my drop link when I did my front wheel bearings I broke the small spline tool, tiny diameter tool wasn't strong enough to hold the centre while I undid the large rusty nut, so if your needing to remove your drop link might be wise to factor in new drop links in case you need to cut the old ones off.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.