Front assistance not available

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Hi guys,

Am getting a rather annoying problem with the car in that the front assistance is telling me constantly that it is unavailable. This is happening all the time now.

Now this is probably down to me doing the NC 500 last week and having a little bit of a tet a tet with a ditch at speed (very much an ambition over adhesion situation :rolleyes: ). It was a massive impact that cause the steering alignment to get whacked out of line.

I figured maybe the car had realised the geometry was wrong and so had disabled it for some reason but now I have had all the suspension checked and the wheels realigned the problem persists.

It also is randomly giving me the "depress brake pedal" message when i am stationary with the footbrake on. So I stop, the engine stops, this message immediately displays then the engine restarts and the auto hold system does not work (its a dsg btw). I then have to hold the footbrake on or the car will set off.

I'm going to guess i have walloped a sensor connection somewhere near the left front corner but does anyone know what/where this sensor might be so i can check its connected

I'd rather not head to stealer but might be forced into it..

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
As per response above - this will need a diagnostic tool to assess:

The issue could be related to any number of equipments - some screen shots below are from the self-study guide for driver assist systems, showing sensors and controllers and how linked together - although for adaptive cruise control, the majority of these are present for the front assist function.

The second screen shot shows the rationale for sensor recalibration - ‘fault stored in controller memory’ being the most likely issue that you have - this can only be cleared using a diagnostic tool such as VCDS, and only if you are certain that the fault has been resolved.

There is a DIY sensor recalibration wiki here:

Attachments

• 45DB8502-B2A7-41A3-8A81-0C12BF61DC1D.jpeg
    45DB8502-B2A7-41A3-8A81-0C12BF61DC1D.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 670
  • 8217A8B5-0481-46BF-AA86-C8C5C55DA684.jpeg
    8217A8B5-0481-46BF-AA86-C8C5C55DA684.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 373
Reactions: Lozzy15

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Cheers for the advice. Decided to let the pros have a look before doing anything myself as it needs a service and is still under warranty.

Hopefully the error doesn't tell then that this might have broken at the same time a massive lump of g-force was smashed through the front corner :unsure:. Judgement day tomorrow..