Gear change indicator

Duwsh

Mar 25, 2019
I’ve got the new 2021 Ibiza FR Sport, I’ve noticed since the other day the gear change indicator has changed a lot, it used to tell me to be in gear 5 going 30mph and now it’s telling me to be in gear 3? That’s a big difference, it seems they’ve all changed down a lot. Any ideas why this is?

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
have you got it in Sport mode ?
^This - that’s assuming it’s a car with DSG transmission.

@Duwsh; Assuming your car does have DSG, you’re probably also finding that it holds onto each gear for longer too and therefore revs higher before changing up to the next gear. In my VW with DSG, the (digital) instrument panel shows the selected gear and transmission mode - e.g D1, D2 etc for Normal / Comfort mode and S1, S2 etc in Sport mode. Presumably the Ibiza does the same?

In my car to revert back to normal D / comfort mode from Sport mode, I pull the lever back when it’s in the D/S position and it changes back to D / Comfort, so I’m assuming it’s the same in the Ibiza. Edit; seems that it is the same - this is from the Ibiza owner’s manual;

D/S – Permanent forward drive position
The lever in the D/S position enables the gears to be operated in normal mode ( D ) or sport mode ( S ). To select Sport mode S , move the lever backwards. Pushing the lever again will select normal mode D . The selected driving mode is shown on the instrument panel display.

In normal mode ( D ), the gearbox selects the best gear ratio. This depends on the engine load, the road speed and the dynamic gear control programme (DCP).

Sport mode ( S ) should be selected for a sporty driving style. This setting makes use of the engine's maximum power output. When accelerating the gear shifts will be noticeable.

Under certain circumstances (e.g. on mountain roads) it can be advantageous to switch tiptronic mode , to adapt the gears to suit the road conditions.

Last edited:

Duwsh

Mar 25, 2019
It is a manual, and it actually happened after I put it in sports mode and took it out, but it doesn’t matter as I’ve actually traded in the car for something else. I think the new Ibizas are awful compared to the first version, can’t explain how disappointed in SEAT I am, absolutely boring interior and drives awful.

Bear

Jun 15, 2021
It is a manual, and it actually happened after I put it in sports mode and took it out, but it doesn’t matter as I’ve actually traded in the car for something else. I think the new Ibizas are awful compared to the first version, can’t explain how disappointed in SEAT I am, absolutely boring interior and drives awful.
What did you trade it in for?

Jan 10, 2023
Hello everybody,
I have Seat Ibiza year 2015 (6j), I do not have (originally) the gear suggestion, we tried activating it with VCDS (which accepts the coding), but the dash does not show the arrows and the gear....
Am I missing something ? For ibiza style it works from factory, but for my model it is not....
Appreciate your help !

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.