Gear changes in Sport or Cupra mode

GeordieJohn

Mar 1, 2023
Hi all,
So I'm 1000 miles into my ownership and would appreciate it if someone could help out with the answer to my query regarding gear changes in Sport or Cupra modes.
If I accelerate from rest in either of these modes the dsg box doesnt change up until 6000rpm, is that normal?
I've been manually changing but the high revs seem extreme especially as peak torques comes in much lower,

Napmasterflash

Jan 21, 2021
That doesn't sound right and mine doesn't do that. It does hang on to the gears a bit longer with the box in S mode (Cupra and Sport) but unless you are flooring it does change up at lower rev levels.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Hi all,
So I'm 1000 miles into my ownership and would appreciate it if someone could help out with the answer to my query regarding gear changes in Sport or Cupra modes.
If I accelerate from rest in either of these modes the dsg box doesnt change up until 6000rpm, is that normal?
I've been manually changing but the high revs seem extreme especially as peak torques comes in much lower,
If you are accelerating very heavily it will keep the revs until 6000. If you are accelerating less or if you ease of slightly, it will shift up.

Now that I think about it, are you sure that you are in S gearbox mode? If you are in M (manual) it will not shift until you hit the rev limiter (this sounds like what you have). If you are in S gearbox and you use the paddles once, it will change you to M and not leave it until you reselect the driving mode or gearbox mode. Maybe you are doing it by mistake?

Reactions: GeordieJohn

GeordieJohn

Mar 1, 2023
Ah! I might have put in in manual I will check that out tomorrow and report back. thanks for the replies,

Reactions: Peyton
Nov 29, 2022
Sport and Cupra drive modes default to S (sport) in Drive on automatic but if you flick the gear stick/knob to D again it goes back to normal auto mode which doesn’t hold onto the gears as long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Thanks Peyton & Richard your input has taught me alot about the VZ2 box:).
Glad you sorted it out. Yeah it's not always the most intuitive.

If you are in D - using paddles will override the gear but it will return back to D after a short while. Useful if you want more control of your gears as you are about to overtake someone.

In S - using paddles switches you to manual mode and doesn't change back to S until you switch driving mode or gearbox mode by hand. In manual (M) it does however change the gears automatically if you reach the rev limiter or if you are going too low in revs (it will not stall).

Also if you want pops and bangs - switch to Cupra mode and then try to raise your revs to 3500 rpm and then let go of the gas - or tap it slightly. This is the sweetspot for the pops and bangs.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.