I’ve ordered a brand new Leon FR Sport - is it worth it ?

SamuelDonuts

Jan 6, 2017
Midlands
I have to say... Having just driven an MG4 EV to work as a one-off, our lane assist system is EXCELLENT compared to that! Even if you THINK about going near the white lines in the MG it gives out a horrendous high-pitched "ding", and no matter if it is 2 seconds later you head towards the whites, it'll ding again. Over and over again, especially on B roads.

I always have lane assist turned on in the Leon. It really isn't as bad as people make out and it is a safety feature that I appreciate especially when working long hours and commuting at night.

Reactions: Seatboi

Bookerman16

Apr 9, 2016
It still activates but that's when it's at its very worst. If you drive A and B roads over 30mph (which is 90% of my local network) then you will develop the habit of turning it off every time you start the engine. As others have said it's not a very hard pull but it's completely unpredictable and unreliable, if you have a light touch on the wheel it's very unnerving to have to wheel suddenly jerk you towards the middle line as you take a fast sweeping right hand bend.

Then there are the obvious bugs in the software, you are holding the wheel and already driving in the middle of the lane but it starts binging at you to 'take the wheel' or 'drive in the lane'. These are annoying but then, just occasionally, if you approach the edge of the lane it pulls the wheel towards it, rather than away - which at just the wrong moment feels like the car is trying to kill you.
I've had an occasion with a car parked just before an island in the middle of the road. Pulled out to go past the car and it turned me back towards it as I crossed the white line. That and the front sensor are turned off every time I go in it now.
I've got the hybrid and really liked it, then our leasing company put it in to a back street garage for a service and it's never run right since.
Currently looking at opting out and interested in the 1.5l also for that option.
Oh and personally I can't stand the auto headlight tbh. I turn them off when reversing in the drive to save shining in the neighbours windows but go over 2mph it seems they fire back up. That's more a me thing though probably lol

Last edited:

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
It feels like the industry is in beta testing ATM hearing the tales of woe.
I believe 2024 is when lane assist becomes mandatory in the EU.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.