Ibiza Cupra 1.4 TSI 180hp... I have some questions

Oct 15, 2023
Hy,
Coming from BMW world we bought Ibiza Cupra for my girlfriend, I have no clue about VAG cars... I have multiple questions.

1.) 180hp in 1.4L engine...this makes my hair fall out. How long do these engines hold up? It has 155.xxx km on the odo right now.
2.) What engine oil is recommended, what is the capacity, how often should it be changed? Does compressor need oil changes?
3.) Is there anything special about maintaining it that I should know?

4.) Engine coolant temp gauge... can it be coded so it can be shown on the small display in the cluster?
5.) What diagnostic software is the go to for this car... Would VCDS do all the job?; What obd cable to use?
6.) Air is blowing thru the vents while driving with fan off, is this normal?

7.) Usb support for the radio... Are there any plug&play add-ons? OEM module? aftermarket module (Dension maybee)?

Ezr

Nov 12, 2023
Hello I own a Ibiza cupra 1.8 TSI.
Before buying mine i had considered your generation of Cupra.
From my understanding the car has some common issues with the engine and the automatic gearbox, expecially at higher miles after 120.000 km.

There were 2 on the market when i wanted to buy one. One had the engine rebuild and the gearbox changed at 140.000 km.
One that my friend wanted to buy had 160.000 km on it, and it had the gearbox failing, while driving the gearbox switched from drive to neutral.

It's a great car but it has to be maintained properly and most often is the younger generation that drives these cars that do not take care of them.

For the rest of the question i cannot help you out.
But you can find the cars manual and you can find the type of oil an capacity needed there.

Reactions: kajaalyo
Oct 15, 2023
Hello I own a Ibiza cupra 1.8 TSI.
Before buying mine i had considered your generation of Cupra.
From my understanding the car has some common issues with the engine and the automatic gearbox, expecially at higher miles after 120.000 km.

There were 2 on the market when i wanted to buy one. One had the engine rebuild and the gearbox changed at 140.000 km.
One that my friend wanted to buy had 160.000 km on it, and it had the gearbox failing, while driving the gearbox switched from drive to neutral.

It's a great car but it has to be maintained properly and most often is the younger generation that drives these cars that do not take care of them.

For the rest of the question i cannot help you out.
But you can find the cars manual and you can find the type of oil an capacity needed there.
Hy,
Thank you for your anwser. Yep, I hope it was maintained... Poured 1L of oil in it yet.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
yes mine does that too, cold or hot air depending of what it was doing the last time the fans were running

Kryton

Feb 28, 2023
They have gone down massively in my estimations. Mine is currently dead. Was at a track day on Sunday & the only mechanical failures all day were a caterham (which was back out 2 hours later) Audi s3 & 2 vw golf r. One of the golf’s was definitely catastrophic and left oil over approx 3/4km of track so closed the circuit for nearly an hour whilst they cleared it up. I don’t think any cars are as reliable as they used to be as cutting costs plus also covid messing supply chains so parts sourced elsewhere but vag definitely seem to have become far worse. As you’re from bmw camp, you will be aware of the twin turbo petrol engine failures, early idrive issues & diesel timing chains so all manufacturers have problems but vag seem to suffer with major problems rather than teething. I’ve had lots of vw & Audi prior & it all seems to have gone down hill since late 2000s in my opinion

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
I think the only reliable engine from VW currently is the 1.0 TSI, but engines from Peugeot and Citroen are much worse

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.