Ibiza v Polo

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I was on here about 8 months ago considering a Polo or an Ibiza. I was very close to ordering an Ibiza Toca 3dr in the summer when they were going for £8995. But really needed 5 doors. Finally got round to ordering a Polo in the end after a deal which was better than SEAT, which is the second time in a row that VW have beat SEAT first on the Mii v up! and then Polo v Ibiza. FR was the ideal engine combination/price but still more than the 1.4 Polo and the Polo interior whilst bland is a real step up quality wise from the cooking model Ibiza's. I was worried the 1.4 would be a bit duff, and have been surprised that it is actually OK. No ball of fire but a decent amount of torque and works well with the Polo and 48-50mpg is not bad either so far. Pulls the Polo and the Ibiza Tioca I test drove along nicely.

Picked up our new Polo 1.4 Match Edition in red and said goodbye to my white Take up! last Wednesday. Spec is pretty much Toca + standard rear electric windows, 15" not 16" alloys and minus the Sat Nav element of the SEAT portable media unit. Even though a SEAT forum many of us buy or help buy second cars for BF, GF, uncles, aunts, cats and dogs....and may consider the MIi/up! via Ibiza/Polo. After a drive to work and some general tootling about here are my thoughts:

VWPolo_zps3ecb92ea.jpg

The big word that differentiates the two is 'refinement' the Polo is much more hushed especially in the rear (has wheel arch liners), being a four cylinder the engine is naturally going to be not quite as vocal. Again extra sound deadening makes for a much hushed engine note, one that is a bit less fun than the up!s roarty three cylinder. Mpg wise it seems to be around 6-8mpg worse, although the engine is very tight. The Polo has the 1.4 85ps lump and it does feel slightly quicker not much. The bigger difference is when the car is fully loaded and the extra power and torque is allot more noticeable compared to how a 4 up!s performance was quite blunted by the extra weight. Brakes are sharper, but then the Polo does have discs all round.

20131208_115714_zps1a0d7a2d.jpg

The steering is as light if not as sharp as an up! The up! felt quicker and keener to change direction and had a fun factor the Polo looses. The Polo is better damped so bumps and speed humps etc are felt much less and absorbed better. The slightly softer suspension gives a softer ride but at the cost of a little more roll in the corners and I am sure adds to being less keen to change direction - compared to the up!

The interior is much nicer overall I put it on par with my original E97 BMW 1 Series. The actual switches and buttons feel the same as the up! and are the same being from the same parts bin. The interior quality is made up from the slush molded dash and air vents that feel very Audi esque in their operation and positive 'click.' The lower dashboard is hard plastic but again the plastic feels one grade above the up! The RCD310 DAB stereo is excellent, although the actual sound quality of the speakers is no better than an up! with the sound back. The radio especially the DAB element is leagues ahead in sound quality terms as is the CD player. Media player sounds as good as using the media player via the Maps & More I had in my up! Door cards with their material insert even though they are still hard plastic again has a slightly nicer feel and plusher looking grain. The seats are firmer and overall more supportive than the up! but not by much, as always found the up! seats very comfortable.

20131208_115641_zpsd71a3380.jpg

The up! Is more fun to drive and the Polo fights back with more space and refinement, although interior headroom was better in the up! 1.4 engine suits the Polo well - although not quite as responsive or as nice sounding as the up! The five seats and four doors we require the Polo does the job and is a much more comfortable car to be in over longer journeys that I found the up! could become tiresome on due to the noise. Two very different cars though, up! is the better city car and Polo the better car for space and refinement and longer journeys. Oh and having electric mirrors and drivers and passenger window switches together is nice, as is a parcel shelf that I don't have to remember to put down as it stays up in an up!

VWPoloRear_zps85375dba.jpg

I did have a drive in an Ibiza Toca and was impressed, just felt the interior was a bit plasticy and did not like the seat trim. 1.2TSi is the best engine for those that want a little extra verve and fun...about time VW and SEAT followed Skoda and fitted the 85 version to the Polo and Ibiza!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have not read this fully, but it is good to hear that the Polo is acceptable with the 1.4 80/85PS engine. I am currently looking after my daughter's late 2009 1.4 Ibiza S/C and it is a lot better to drive than my wife's late 2002 1.4 75PS Polo SE 5 door. I always wondered how that engine would feel like in a loaded up 5 door Polo as wife will need a new/newer car soon. The 3 door/5 door thing is important to me as I have a double garage and I don't want the Polo door touching my 2011 S4 - so that means getting another 5 door!

Feb 8, 2011
Looks as if the Polo must be better value now than it used to be.

Two years ago the Polo 1.4 SE 5 door was listed at about the same price as the Ibiza 1.2 TSI SE 5 door, but because of the VAT free offer running at the time I paid about £1000 less for the 1.2 TSI Ibiza than I'd have paid for the Polo. The Ibiza was so much better to drive, the engine so much better and the included kit so much better that it was a no brainer. Oh - and lower road tax, and better economy too!

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Looks as if the Polo must be better value now than it used to be.

Two years ago the Polo 1.4 SE 5 door was listed at about the same price as the Ibiza 1.2 TSI SE 5 door, but because of the VAT free offer running at the time I paid about £1000 less for the 1.2 TSI Ibiza than I'd have paid for the Polo. The Ibiza was so much better to drive, the engine so much better and the included kit so much better that it was a no brainer. Oh - and lower road tax, and better economy too!

The Ibiza was better value. I remember the Sportrider, which was so well equipped for the money. Many are now options on the FL FR. The Polo Match Edition is well specced with cruise, media adaptor, bluetooth, rear PDC, four electric windows, fog lights, tinted rear windows and DAB. VWs finance is more competitive at the mo
and better residuals tip the balance. The 1.2TSi is a much better engine than the 1.4 - the 1.4 does the job if not with the most finesse, but has adequate torque for the size and weight of the car even 5 up. I ended up paying £11500 against £14140 list including the £1000 finance deposit allowance then a further £199 for 3 years servicing and got a years free insurance.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
jezyg, I think that you are wrong about the Polo having "discs all round" - more of the 9N and facelifted version had rear discs than Ibiza had, but it seems that it is back to drums are all of at least the regular ones. That is something that I've had to grow to accept when changing wife's Polo. The reason that I would buy a 1.4 85PS engine Polo is because I tend to keep cars for maybe up to 10 years - and I don't fancy emptying my wallet into a TSI engine over that length of ownership. VAG is still hanging on to its very bad name over launching award winning advanced engines that turn into nasty turds within 6 years. Mind you, they are not alone there as quite a lot of modern BMW DERV engines seem to start to consume their bits at an early age, as do some MBs - although their auto trans seems to get there first. I'm just hoping that the 3.0 V6 TSI in my Audi is old school enough to live for a long time without eating its supercharger - burp!

Edit, mind you, looking at your second picture, there is a silver "lump" showing through the alloys round about where the calliper would be - ah well, I might be able to stay with discs all round after all!

Last edited:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
jezyg, I think that you are wrong about the Polo having "discs all round" - more of the 9N and facelifted version had rear discs than Ibiza had, but it seems that it is back to drums are all of at least the regular ones. That is something that I've had to grow to accept when changing wife's Polo. The reason that I would buy a 1.4 85PS engine Polo is because I tend to keep cars for maybe up to 10 years - and I don't fancy emptying my wallet into a TSI engine over that length of ownership. VAG is still hanging on to its very bad name over launching award winning advanced engines that turn into nasty turds within 6 years. Mind you, they are not alone there as quite a lot of modern BMW DERV engines seem to start to consume their bits at an early age, as do some MBs - although their auto trans seems to get there first. I'm just hoping that the 3.0 V6 TSI in my Audi is old school enough to live for a long time without eating its supercharger - burp!

Edit, mind you, looking at your second picture, there is a silver "lump" showing through the alloys round about where the calliper would be - ah well, I might be able to stay with discs all round after all!

The 1.4 6R did originally have rear drums and switched to discs all round 2011/12. Yes mine has discs all round. Only the 1.2 12v and 1.2 TDi come with drum brakes. FL Polo is due in the spring, midly tweaked bumpers and new interior fabric oh and a 1.5 TDi no other engines have been confirmed yet.

BMW is still having timing chains snapping on their 2L M47 derv lumps destroying the engine....

Last edited:

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Now if only they would produce a Polo GTD with the 2.0TDi in it !!!!!

They do a GTD in India and other countries but with the 1.6 derv lump. A Polo GTD would be nice like the Derv 2 litre 143 FR TDi, but would be quite pricey knowing VW about the same as the Polo GTi. I think it is more than likely projected sales and who would actually buy one is possibly the reason there is not one :confused:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
They do a GTD in India and other countries but with the 1.6 derv lump. A Polo GTD would be nice like the Derv 2 litre 143 FR TDi, but would be quite pricey knowing VW about the same as the Polo GTi. I think it is more than likely projected sales and who would actually buy one is possibly the reason there is not one :confused:

It was purely the 2.0TDi that pushed me towards the Ibiza FR TDi. I see it is now available in the Audi A1 too.

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
I have been pleasantly surprised by the mpg at around 50mpg. Do find 5th quite a high gear and the gearbox and requires a downshift on steeper hills at higher speeds. Not a bad lump the 1.4 little gravely at high revs but decent mid band torque for an N/A and east to get decent mpg from.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.