Installing LHD headlights on a RHD car

CW92

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2021
I keep looking into changing the headlights on my Ibiza 2010 to include DRL however online I can only find one's that say they are suitable for LHD cars only.

Using Carista it says changing the "Instument cluster region" affects the exterior lights. Does anyone know if changing this to a country with LHD (E.g. France), replacing the lights and then changing it back to Australia (to show the MPH speed in the cluster) would change the lights back to work on RHD cars or am I thinking to simplistically?

1648536707471.png

Any help is appreciated.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
This is a logical guess only, but I'm sure that LHD headlight assemblies are built for only LHD use, although it is possible with some to "flatten" the beam for short term use in a RHD country, same for RHD headlight assemblies.

So the physical shape/design of headlights will determine if they are for LHD or RHD use, as well as that it is possible that there will be mandated legal marking to prove that they are either oky for use in EU LHD and EU RHD, although the "EU" part for RHD will just be a legacy provision.

Edit:- probably better to add the "optical paths" and "lighting geometry" to reasons why a LHD headlight assembly can not be fully compliant for full time RHD use.

Last edited:
Reactions: CW92

CW92

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2021
Thanks, I thought I was being too optimistically simple with this approach.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.