Knock Sensor....Help!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
Hmmm. This is going to be one of those PITA things to get sorted

So plan of attack....

Fix the secondary air pump, needs doing anyway.
Check the vacum pipes. Are these from the underside of the inlet mani upto the N249 and DV?
Try cleaning the electrical connections to the knock sensors.
Leaks on the intake system would have been picked up in the logs, wouldnt they?

Sound good? Anything else?

Cheers, Matt

Yes, particularly those from the underside of the inlet mani upto the N249 and DV.....
sounds good, also keep checking for fault codes/clearing (noting what/when)
log 003 and 020 whenever you get a chance, looking for changes.

matylad

Nov 24, 2005
Crewe, Cheshire
Just to bring this thread to a (I hope) conclusion. I had a look round all the vacum and breather pipes yesterday and couldn’t find anything loose or split. I fixed the secondary air pump, started the car and there was still a loud hissing noise, I traced this to a pipe under the inlet manifold. There was a wide rubber band holding 2 pipes together once I removed this it became apparent that the breather for the manifold had split! I temporarily sealed this and hey presto car runs smooth again. Cleared all the error codes along with cleaning and aligning the throttle body (aligning done with vagcom) car now pulls like a train and runs SO much better. So far so good!!

Big thanks to Dave, you were spot on mate!!

matylad

Nov 24, 2005
Crewe, Cheshire
Will do Dave. The way it’s running now though I’m thinking, as you said, that this was causing the knock sensor fault. The engine was spluttering and dancing all over the place while the hole was open, now sealed its silky smooth again :thumbup:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members